Help! Hibernation Issues?

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Hello all!

It's been several years since I posted here, but I so appreciate this resource. We have a Greek Tortoise who is approximately 10 years old (I think). We live in Kentucky, so we bring him to an indoor enclosure in the winter. Last winter and this past winter, he has ended up hibernating. Last year, when it warmed up, we were able to put him in his outdoor enclosure with no issues. However, this year we had just gotten a new dog, so we needed to dog proof his enclosure. I had noticed that he just was not eating the food I was putting in his enclosure and not moving around very much. I figured it was because he was still inside the house. However, we moved him outside this week and he does not move at all. As far as I can tell, his eyes look clear, no discharge or anything else. However, he doesn't move. He doesn't attempt to eat. I've been giving him baths while offering food over the past few weeks (this week I have been doing carrot baby food soaks) to try and get him out of his hibernation, but they just don't seem to be making much difference.
Yesterday I felt like he was finally starting to move around a bit, but today he is still so withdrawn in his shell. I am considering force feeding him, or at least, opening his mouth and placing some baby food in it to try and get his systems moving.

To make matters worse, it has been unseasonably cool in Kentucky over the past week, so I am hoping that I have not done more damage by putting him outside (60s to 70s) when it was cooler out.

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice you can give me! (We plan to take him to the vet on Monday if we have seen no progress... so that will be another adventure because we've never felt a need to establish care)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
They don't hibernate. They brumate.

How was he brumated, and at what temperature?

What sort of heating and lighting do you have inside?

Where is he at night and what temperature?

Is the outside enclosure sunny? Or fully shaded?

milkandsam

5 Year Member
In the fall, we bring him inside and continue to feed him regularly. Usually after a few weeks, he moves away from the light, stops eating and drinking and just stays in one of the hide sections. We use a uva/uvb light when he's inside. Once he stops moving, we turn it off so it's around 68 in the house. His enclosure is in a part of the house that doesn't get direct sunlight, so it shouldn't heat up more than that. At night during the summer he just remains outside, it hasn't gotten below 60 this past week at night. The enclosure outside is about half sun/half shade.
Thank you! We've kind of just let him do his own thing the past few years, but we obviously should have been a bit more attentive this year.