Hibernation

Gemma+Tess

5 Year Member
Hi,

I have a 5 year old Horsefield tortoise who I adopted when he was about a year old. He started winding down for hibernation of his own accord when the weather turned last year. We took him for a vet check beforehand and all was good, he just asked us to only hibernate him for 3 weeks because of his age. We starved him beforehand and he slept quite happily in his tortoise table, but then when we put him in his box in a cold place (we have a thermometer and it was showing a steady 7°c) he was restless and scratching to get out. So we put him back in his tortoise table and kept the room cold, and he slept there for 3 weeks. Now this year it's the same scenario again. He's just ready to start hibernating (this time the vet has recommended around 5 weeks) and as soon as we put him in an enclosed box he gets really stressed and spends all his time trying to get out. Has anybody else had this issue where their tortoise simply doesn't want to sleep in a box?!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't hibernate my Russian. However what I have always read, you don't put them in for hibernation until they start acting like they are going into it on their own.
Like not eating and sleeping a lot more then normal.
See what others that do hibernate say.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I had a desert tortoise that I hibernated. As he slows down, have you been slowly reducing the hours his lights are on? And slowly lowering his temperature? If he's warm, he can't really get into 'hibernation' mode, and so wakes up quickly.

You said you starved him, but that he had begun to wind down himself. Had he stopped eating on his own? Or nearly stopped? Also, his gut must be completely empty before he goes down. Has there been at least 2 weeks since no food?

It seems like he isn't really ready to hibernate, yet he sleeps in his hide.

Making sure his photoperiod and temp both drop is the only suggestion I have. The closer he is to 7°c when you take him out, the better it is.

Could you add a general vicinity where you live to your profile? It helps to know what kind of climate you have, other than 'it gets cold' ? An area and a country would be great, like SE England beach area.