Help! I noticed tiny in enclosure with my Russian tortoise.

Dinohoff21

Location (City and/or State)
Homer Glen, IL
I just noticed small specks in the water dish for the past couple days and saw crawling little specks in food dish last night. I am due to change substrate. Any idea what they are so I can figure out next steps to treat/prevent. I am currently using reptibark for substrate and changing every 2-3 months with daily spot cleaning. IMG_3846.jpegIMG_3847.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's very common to get tiny bugs in the enclosures eventually.
Bake the new substrate 250 for 3 hours. This will help kill any eggs/bugs that may be in it waiting for ideal conditions to come out. It will not keep them away forever, but usually for a year or longer
Btw, substrate should last a year or more before needing replaced if you keep it clean from uneaten food and poop. Just stir it up once in a while.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just noticed small specks in the water dish for the past couple days and saw crawling little specks in food dish last night. I am due to change substrate. Any idea what they are so I can figure out next steps to treat/prevent. I am currently using reptibark for substrate and changing every 2-3 months with daily spot cleaning. View attachment 376912View attachment 376913
Those are called springtails. They are harmless detrivores. They come from the surrounding environment and move in to the perfect environment you've created for them. There is no need to treat them. They are cleaning your enclosure and they cannot harm your tortoise.. People add them on purpose to "bio-active" enclosures.