Help! I think Franklin is sick!

erica anne

5 Year Member
This is franklins first winter outside so I bought a Kane heat mat and have a CHE overhead. Lately I hear a heavy whistling noise when he breathes but no discharge. His appetite is diminished and he did not drink in his soak. I made a vet appt for the morning but don't want to jump the gun if there is no reason to.

Would you take him to the vet? What should I expect from the vet if I do go? This is my first experience with this.

Thank you!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you know what temps the heat mat and CHE is keeping? Do you have them on a thermastat? If he were just making a little noise, I would up the heat by about five degrees. But with the diminished eating, it could be the colder weather or could be illness.

erica anne

5 Year Member
I have it in a thermostat set to 90 degrees. I just don't know what to do :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I do believe 90 is too high. At this point though, because he may be sick. I don't think I would lower it until you find out what is going on if anything. Once things clear, then I would set it for 75-80. My leopard is living outside in a heated shed. I have his hide set for 80 and the rest of the shed at 75, with a basking of 95-100. He's 2 1-2 years. Your sully would like and can handle temps lower then a leopard. See what others say.
Also, is he sleeping in the heated enclosure? Are you locking him in at night? Is it possible he is not using the heated hide?

erica anne

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I do believe 90 is too high. At this point though, because he may be sick. I don't think I would lower it until you find out what is going on if anything. Once things clear, then I would set it for 75-80. My leopard is living outside in a heated shed. I have his hide set for 80 and the rest of the shed at 75, with a basking of 95-100. He's 2 1-2 years. Your sully would like and can handle temps lower then a leopard. See what others say.
Also, is he sleeping in the heated enclosure? Are you locking him in at night? Is it possible he is not using the heated hide?

He sleeps in there and I don't have to lock him up. It is a relatively small enclosure with a only small area that is not covered by the mat. I could lower temps. At first I just thought he was really dry until he turned down his favorite food.

Laura said:
can he get OFF the matt?

Yes he can. There is a small area next to the mat that he can lay down in. He can also leave the enclosure if he wants but he always stays the night in there.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
erica anne said:
This is franklins first winter outside so I bought a Kane heat mat and have a CHE overhead. Lately I hear a heavy whistling noise when he breathes but no discharge. His appetite is diminished and he did not drink in his soak. I made a vet appt for the morning but don't want to jump the gun if there is no reason to.

Would you take him to the vet? What should I expect from the vet if I do go? This is my first experience with this.

Thank you!!

I heard a lot of things about the heating mat this is why I will never get one. I have heard that lizards have gotten burnt on these mats. I would be very careful with those heating mats

erica anne

5 Year Member
ILoveTortoises2 said:
erica anne said:

Thank you!!

I heard a lot of things about the heating mat this is why I will never get one. I have heard that lizards have gotten burnt on these mats. I would be very careful with those heating mats

Have they been known to cause RI's? I thought that it might be making everything really dry. I hadn't heard any negative things about them...what do you use for outdoor heating?

erica anne

5 Year Member
The vet said Franklin has parasites and gave a dose of antibiotics for that. He also gave him another antibiotic shot for any possible infection that may be brewing. He told me to get another CHE and ditch the heat mat as it causes burns. Hopefully I start to see him perk up now!