Help identify

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
Earlier today while I was soaking the torts, I was preparing their food and when I took penelopes water dish out, I noticed this floating in it. It's like a rock but I can scrape at it with my nail. Not as solid as a rock though. Hard to describe the texture. No idea what it could be

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1369965938274.jpg
    1369965938274.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 109

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
I usually soak them twice a day. The past few days, it been once due to our schedule this week, so I make their second soak by spraying them til they are dripping. Also spray them 3 to 4 times

knighterson

5 Year Member
It looks like the little white things that you find in potting soil, or is that what perlite is?

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
It looks like urate. Mine passes the same thing when he pees during his soaks. His is usually like a bunch of wet powder

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
I have never had a tortoise drop a hard ball of urate, I thought it was usually runny almost like white urine? Perlite is a white "rock" that if you squeeze with your fingers it will crush into a powder. It is used for holding humidity in soil or other mediums.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
I don't know for sure but it looks just like a kidney stone my Labrador passed. Now I have no idea if torts can get these but that's what it looks like to me.

Sent from my M865 using TortForum mobile app

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Help identify

jjsull33 said:
I have never had a tortoise drop a hard ball of urate, I thought it was usually runny almost like white urine? Perlite is a white "rock" that if you squeeze with your fingers it will crush into a powder. It is used for holding humidity in soil or other mediums.

You nailed it. When I scrape at it, it's like a powdery substance. If it is a stone, I'd say that's pretty big to come out of a tort that only 332 grams

She's been good today. So far has had two soaks, just brought them back inside after a couple hours in the sun, sprinkled some calcium in her food and she eating good. Nothing seems wrong with her..

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
It could be a kidney stone, I have never seen a tort's stones, but from personal experience my kidney stones are always dark and crumble but don't powder. (I have had quite a few, and it is not a pleasant experience)

I also use perlite fairly often for growing plants (not used for torts) and that is what it looks like most closely to me, but as I said I have never seen a tort's stone before.

Status
Not open for further replies.