Help Identifying Species

Ecat85

Hello-

I live in Phoenix, Arizona. Today I found a tortoise in the road. I'm looking for owner, but I would like to know how to take care of it in the meantime. Here's a picture of it right after I found it, so it is a little dirty. Can someone please help identify the breed?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Sulcata....so yes, someone likely has a missing tortoise. You can go to the search bar here on the forum and type in Sulcata care and you will have lots to choose from and much to review---especially looking for keepers in your area would be beneficial...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Salutations.
sulcata, either someone's pet, or a released tortoise, not native to the area. Check out our sulcata section for care, and feel free to ask questions, if you have any.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Your first order of business would be to try to find this tortoise's owner. Someone may have left the gate open, or he might have dug out under the fence...give them the benefit of the doubt. Put up fliers on utility poles in the neighborhood where you found him. Advertise on craigslist. "Found" ads are free in the newspaper, place an ad. Do everything you can to find this tortoise's owner, and then, if you can't find them, learn how to care for him.

Sulcata tortoises get very big. Do you have space for a 150lb steam roller to live and graze. It is almost like keeping a miniature cow.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

yillt

Wow. What a beautiful sully. Welcome to the forum. Even if you don't keep this tort there are other torts out there looking for homes. Well done for rescuing him.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I live in Phx. Also . Just remember it's going to get big . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Any luck finding the owner?? Good luck with the torts. Welcome.

Ecat85

We found the owner today! After researching and caring for 1, I think we might adopt a Sulcata in the near future.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So glad to hear that. And now that you know someone in your area, you have a resource. Stay with us and read all the threads at the top of the Sulcata section. They will help you for when you get your own sulcata.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif