Help in identification

Mattesj

Location (City and/or State)
Spain
I have lived in Spain for decades and am retiring to the states. I have no idea what kind of tortoise I have, but I fear it may be one that is banned from import. Anyone know if they are still banned and if there is any way to bring stateside?
Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• E98658BF-35A2-40F6-B9D2-D68C4721E5FE.jpeg
    E98658BF-35A2-40F6-B9D2-D68C4721E5FE.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 14
  • 7189CAF1-E197-4AD6-A919-D1C95CAF76EB.jpeg
    7189CAF1-E197-4AD6-A919-D1C95CAF76EB.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Leopard tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Leopard tortoises ARE banned from being imported due to a tick that carries some sort of disease that infects hoof stock. But this might not apply to personally owned tortoises when moving household. You'll need to contact (USDA???) the folks in charge of imports. Is the tortoise captive bred?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

Having worked at US Embassies in many locations overseas, most will just refer you to look to the USDA page for “help”. (Like Yvonne said above).

A quick look at USDA page for importing 4 or less torts to the USA, it says this pretty much front & center

The following tortoise species are not allowed to be imported in the U.S.:
  • Leopard tortoise (Geochelone pardalis)
  • African spurred tortoise (Geochelone sulcata)
  • Bell's hingeback tortoise (Kinixys belliana)
Source of the info -

zovick

10 Year Member!
I have lived in Spain for decades and am retiring to the states. I have no idea what kind of tortoise I have, but I fear it may be one that is banned from import. Anyone know if they are still banned and if there is any way to bring stateside?
Any help is appreciated
Not sure if the import ban applies to personal pets as well as other wildlife imports. That you will need to check out with the authorities mentioned by others here, but it will very likely be a good deal of work and you may get nowhere for all your efforts. The tortoise might even be confiscated by USFWS agents once it gets here.

You would most likely be better off finding it another home in Spain before you leave and then getting a new one once you are stateside. Much fewer headaches that way and less chance of a disappointing outcome for all the work required to accomplish the transfer.

There are loads of them available here in case you are not aware of that.