Weed Identification

grogu

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi all, I was wondering if the weeds in my yard were safe for my marginated tortoise to eat. None of these have been treated with any pesticides or weed killer. I have labeled the photos 1 and 2. Any help with identification is greatly appreciated thank you!

Attachments

• 8C09B05E-08BD-4E00-A573-D344EDFDE5B0.jpeg
    8C09B05E-08BD-4E00-A573-D344EDFDE5B0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • F7B5DB01-67E6-484D-BAF8-C736E1CF5381.jpeg
    F7B5DB01-67E6-484D-BAF8-C736E1CF5381.jpeg
    935 KB · Views: 7

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi all, I was wondering if the weeds in my yard were safe for my marginated tortoise to eat. None of these have been treated with any pesticides or weed killer. I have labeled the photos 1 and 2. Any help with identification is greatly appreciated thank you!
#1 looks like crab grass or quack grass
#2 looks like a type of dandelion

Whatever they may be, I would not hesitate to let my tortoises eat either of the plants in your photos.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The first photo has a dozen different plant species in it. The dandelion is good. I can't tell what the stuff at the top left is. The bottom right plant looks like a type of lily, which would be toxic if I am correct.

The most prominent plant in the second photo appears to be curly dock. I still cannot find an answer about that one as tortoise food, or not. @Yvonne G ? What say you about dock as a tortoise food?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Have you been mowing this yard? There are likely some good things in there--I think I see a few slivers of clover on the first and definitely dandelion on the right. But until things grow enough to show full leaves and stems it's really hard to say.

if you have been mowing give at least a part of your yard a break for a few weeks and ask again!