Help is she safe?

Jill and Erica

We just had to do our myrtles home due to flooding, well we put her in it and there is a ledge she is climbing up on and she falls every time. I am concerned she will hurt herself what should I do the ledge is part of the habitat and helps reinforce the walls for the new home. Will she eventually realize she can not get out or will she keep going until she hurts herself

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I doubt she'll hurt herself, however there is always the possibility she will land on her back and not be able to get upright again. Can you fix it so she can't climb there?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe post pic of the enclosure, it will help us to see the problem your talking about and come up with ideas to fix it.

Jill and Erica

I moved her water bowl/pool to the middle and removed some of the dirt so it's is not so high so far she has not tried it again. We also put in a flower pot but cut a opening in it for a hide away, she seemed to have wedged herself behind that I was concerned and moved her out I am about to check on her now to see what else is going on there. She has been inside in a small tub for the last week due to the flooding in SC today was her first day back outside so I know she wants to explore. Maybe I am just worrying to much. I will check in after I check her thank you

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
I'm not following, are you saying the turtle is climbing up in a corner and falling out? if so the common practice is to build a triangle block over all four corners so she's stopped before she can get airborne. A turtle will pace, as they roam much more than anyone could ever build an enclosure for. Also I would provide more hiding spots, what actually works GREAT at this size is a plastic gutter (for roof) corner so there's two entrance/exits.. I've used one for 4 hatchlings and they all will spend the day in there, when they're fed and relaxing, with just their head poking out coming out to see what I have for them when they spot me hovering.

JennK

• For an enclosure this size I would personally build a screen door for the top.