Help is she sick?

Karlamlopez95

Location (City and/or State)
TX
I have recently noticed that my tortoises legs and face has white patches. Her shell looks a little more yellow than usual. Is something wrong? I already scheduled an appointment with the vet as well. I’m really worried about herC829305F-C20B-4C53-925F-6111CAD9DE28.jpeg

Attachments

• D3C47353-B32A-4331-AB39-895C744AEB7E.jpeg
    D3C47353-B32A-4331-AB39-895C744AEB7E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 7A4C6ABA-6BF5-4EA0-A5CD-B321471D1251.jpeg
    7A4C6ABA-6BF5-4EA0-A5CD-B321471D1251.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17

ZenHerper

New Jersey
How long have you had this tortoise?

What are all the foods this tortoise is fed?

What supplements are given and how much?

Does she stand up on her toes to walk, or swim around with the legs flat on the ground?

Please post photos of the enclosure.

Karlamlopez95

TX
I’ve had her since 2013. I usually feed her romaine lettuce or dried veggie mix that I get from pet smart.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Her beak needs trimming and she needs a much better diet. Dark leafy greens or weeds.
What kind of lighting are you using? Her eyes are quite white around the eyeball. Is there any humidity?
Please read the caresheets in the russian section and make much needed changes.
Her shell looks fine but her insides are probably not with such a limited poor diet.
Give her a nice long warm water soak and keep water warm.
What size enclosure? She needs a minimum. Of a 4x8 foot.

Karlamlopez95

TX
Her beak needs trimming and she needs a much better diet. Dark leafy greens or weeds.
What kind of lighting are you using? Her eyes are quite white around the eyeball. Is there any humidity?
Please read the caresheets in the russian section and make much needed changes.
Her shell looks fine but her insides are probably not with such a limited poor diet.
Give her a nice long warm water soak and keep water warm.
What size enclosure? She needs a minimum. Of a 4x8 foot.
Where could I possibly get her the better diet? Sorry if that sounds dumb but going outside would work? She has a heat lamp purchased from pet co. It’s a 75w.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I’ve had her since 2013. I usually feed her romaine lettuce or dried veggie mix that I get from pet smart.
She is showing definite signs of malnutrition.

Please read this care sheet through several times and make the needed adjustments:

Let us know if you have specific questions about the information.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Where could I possibly get her the better diet? Sorry if that sounds dumb but going outside would work? She has a heat lamp purchased from pet co. It’s a 75w.
You will need to search for safe weeds outside, and from the grocery store dark leafy greens like kale, mustard and collard greens, endive, optunia cactus pads would be a good start.
Does the one bulb have Uvb?
If you post pics of the enclosure and the type of lighting and heating we may be able to help you faster and more accurate

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
First off, you are in good hands. This forum is full of knowledgeable people who are anxious to help. Many people are told the wrong info when they acquire a tortoise. We are here to help fix that.

Next, getting the beak trimmed will be crucial to her (?) health. A properly shaped beak means they can eat with ease. You should ask the vet to do that. That is the ONLY thing you should allow the vet to do at this point. No vitamin shots, etc.

With that sorted out, read the care sheet about housing and diet. Especially the diet. The diet is a quick and immediate fix (YAY!). Living in Texas, people can help you more with housing and lighting/heat. You have a lot of good options in your climate and geographical area.

Just know that fixing an adult tortoise’s husbandry is a process, not an event. Ask a “bazillion“ questions. We are here to help.