HELP IS THIS NORMAL???

Kelly71

Location (City and/or State)
london ontario canada
Hi All,
So now I swear this tort will be the death of me. I was scared the little guy was having to much time in his half log hide now today. I live in London Ontario Canada and today was hot and my ac was not working so it was 80 in my house. So I saw it was 85 ish in Sunnys cage so he came out and went down to the cooler end I would say and started digging in the moss and bark? I moved the heat light to the other side of the cage to lower the temp? He did come out of the corner to eat some then went back into his log hide but maybe it was still to hot for him then he went back to that end and dug again? The humidity in his cage was good I thought 75-80? Is this normal stuff for him to do? I do know he likes his temp 83 ish around the hide? Thanks Oh and I did bath him today?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
So what are you using to check the temps in his enclosure? If he is digging on the cooler side I'd say he got too hot .

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
A digital gauge. I thought it was bc it was to hot. What does the just the heat light do just heat? Like what if I turned the heat light off and just left the UVB light on? Thanks

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That would work on hot days. The best thing to do is use a ceramic heat emitter (Che) on a thermostat . That way you can control the temps better .

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
Sorry this is how dumb I am or Sunny? lol He pooped in his hide? Now lets see if you goes back in? lol That is why he went in before after he ate to check to see if I took it out? And I thought it was bc it wasstill to hot in there? lol But is it normal somewhat for babies to stay in the hides alot ( when there is not poo )? lol Thanks

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes ,its normal for little ones to hide . But from what I've seen my reds poop everywhere they don't care . It has never stopped one of my reds .

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi All,
So now I swear this tort will be the death of me. I was scared the little guy was having to much time in his half log hide now today. I live in London Ontario Canada and today was hot and my ac was not working so it was 80 in my house. So I saw it was 85 ish in Sunnys cage so he came out and went down to the cooler end I would say and started digging in the moss and bark? I moved the heat light to the other side of the cage to lower the temp? He did come out of the corner to eat some then went back into his log hide but maybe it was still to hot for him then he went back to that end and dug again? The humidity in his cage was good I thought 75-80? Is this normal stuff for him to do? I do know he likes his temp 83 ish around the hide? Thanks Oh and I did bath him today?

Yes, sounds normal for a tortoise...regulating their body temps and satisfying their desire...sounds normal to me :p