HELP (Muscle wastage)

georgeandbessy

My aunt has just adopted two tortoises. One is a marginated and one is a horsefield. The marginated is a female and the horsefield is male. We don't know the age but I think they are both over 10. They have lived in a vivarium all there life and still do. The marginated didn't look healthy so I weighed her and measured her. She is 750g and is 17cm long. On the Jackson ratio that is about 0.15. I know this is dangerously under weight. She can't walk that well any more because of the mussel wastage. They have lived together all there life and have never bred or bullied each other. She can't afford vet bills and she has only had them for a month. I only just met them today and made her aware of the tortoises condition. What to do. Please HELP. :(

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
You can't undo the past ...just make their future better.

Help her build them a large enclosure...one per animal. ..and get the enclosures set up properly.

Get them on a healthy diet.

Good luck!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They should be in their own enclosure and it doesn't matter if they have lived this long together. I'm sure there is bullying going on and your aunt doesn't know it. This could also be why the Marginated one is in bad shape and under weight. Get them in warm soaks every day for 20 minutes. Tell your aunt to give the Marginated one hydrotherapy. Deep warm water, place hand under the tort and let it swim. If it doesn't sink then you don't have to hold it, but it should be watched closely the whole time. Daily this should be done for about 10-20 minutes giving it time to rest also. If they are given the proper sized enclosures, at least a 4x8 they should be able to build up their muscle strength. Then also read the care sheets for proper temps, humidity, etc

georgeandbessy

They should be in their own enclosure and it doesn't matter if they have lived this long together. I'm sure there is bullying going on and your aunt doesn't know it. This could also be why the Marginated one is in bad shape and under weight. Get them in warm soaks every day for 20 minutes. Tell your aunt to give the Marginated one hydrotherapy. Deep warm water, place hand under the tort and let it swim. If it doesn't sink then you don't have to hold it, but it should be watched closely the whole time. Daily this should be done for about 10-20 minutes giving it time to rest also. If they are given the proper sized enclosures, at least a 4x8 they should be able to build up their muscle strength. Then also read the care sheets for proper temps, humidity, etc
Thank you so much how can we get it to eat though :/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Getting him/her in its own enclosure might be all it needs. There's most likely bullying going on and he/she has been bullied away from the food. Start there. If she still doesn't eat, try some of the tort favorites, like banana, strawberries or even water melon. Mixing it with her regular greens. Just a little of the fruit, just enough to hopefully make her want to eat. If she eats, then the next feeding use less fruit and so on until she is eating just the better food items. You can also try putting some baby food , like carrots in her warm water soaks. Maybe the taste and smell of the food will kick in her need or want to eat. Getting safe and away from the bully is the big thing.

georgeandbessy

Getting him/her in its own enclosure might be all it needs. There's most likely bullying going on and he/she has been bullied away from the food. Start there. If she still doesn't eat, try some of the tort favorites, like banana, strawberries or even water melon. Mixing it with her regular greens. Just a little of the fruit, just enough to hopefully make her want to eat. If she eats, then the next feeding use less fruit and so on until she is eating just the better food items. You can also try putting some baby food , like carrots in her warm water soaks. Maybe the taste and smell of the food will kick in her need or want to eat. Getting safe and away from the bully is the big thing.
Cheers :D

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Sorry to hear your aunt's tort is ill. :( Wishes for him to get well SOON! :<3:

Please jeep in mind that torts do not like change. Therefore a lot of.....patience is required her. Also, please make sure that the enclosure is nice and LARGE as these cute little animals are used to roaming around in the WILD without boundaries or borders.This makes me feel "guilty" at times, therefore whenever the weather permits I take Oli :<3: out for a "walk." You can't imagine how much he enjoys it!;)

Please keep us updated as far as your aunt's tort is concerned, and........good luck! :D

georgeandbessy

Sorry to hear your aunt's tort is ill. :( Wishes for him to get well SOON! :<3:

Please jeep in mind that torts do not like change. Therefore a lot of.....patience is required her. Also, please make sure that the enclosure is nice and LARGE as these cute little animals are used to roaming around in the WILD without boundaries or borders.This makes me feel "guilty" at times, therefore whenever the weather permits I take Oli :<3: out for a "walk." You can't imagine how much he enjoys it!;)

Please keep us updated as far as your aunt's tort is concerned, and........good luck! :D
Thank you and everyone for all the support :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might very well be that what you're considering muscle wastage is really calcium deficiency. Be sure these tortoises are fed calcium-rich greens and that they get lots of sunshine to make the calcium work inside the body.