Help my African spurred tortoise won't eat!!!!

Killerrookie

Hi my African spurred tortoise won't eat I got him about 3 weeks ago and I start giving him baths. Right now me and my family are moving soon in 2 to 3 weeks from now so right now I'm keeping him in a tub it's big enough for him. He is right now a baby I bought him from petsmart. I also have another turtle in the tub with him it is a full grown ornate boxing turtle and it's a female. I been trying to feed it zoo med box turtle pellets, flukers dried insect, tomatoes, lettuce, live mealworms. He is in my garage and I don't have any light besides the garage light. I let them out in the front yard for about 2 hours for sun light then put them back.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Temps need to be right for your baby to eat. Also if you are keeping these two together, then this could be a case of mental bullying. If so, your baby won't eat until you give him his own space.

M

Maggie Cummings

It is NOT a good thing to mix species. Each species has it's own pathogens that does not harm them, but 'could' harm or kill another species. Box turtles need to be kept pretty wet, Sulcata babies need high humidity. It's not hard at all to hook a light on the side of your Sulcata baby's tub. He cannot digest his food unless his insides are about 80%. So he won't eat. He needs to be kept warm or he will die. It's that simple. For 2 or 3 weeks he can do without a UVB light, but he needs high humidity and heat. You can set up a couple temporary tubs and still meet the needs of the turtle and tortoise If you don't meet his basic needs he won't live. AND, you need to feed him something he recognizes as food. No worms, tomato, insects, mealworms, pellets. I cannot remember the l saw a tortoise in the wild get a jar of pellets open. It's easy enough to pick him dandelions, buy kale at the store, buy a package of Spring Mix at the store. He is not going to eat box turtle food. I realize he is in a temporary enclosure, but he still has basic needs you need to take care of. Get 2 clamp lights and put an incandescent bulb in one and a black light bulb for nighttime heat in the other. Do the same for the Ornata. Use this link and read how to care for that baby or you won't have him for very long. I know this care sheet will help you...
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Last edited by a moderator:

Killerrookie

Ok so I'm wondering on what types of lights I should get and brand. Also
It is NOT a good thing to mix species. Each species has it's own pathogens that does not harm them, but 'could' harm or kill another species. Box turtles need to be kept pretty wet, Sulcata babies need high humidity. It's not hard at all to hook a light on the side of your Sulcata baby's tub. He cannot digest his food unless his insides are about 80%. So he won't eat. He needs to be kept warm or he will die. It's that simple. For 2 or 3 weeks he can do without a UVB light, but he needs high humidity and heat. You can set up a couple temporary tubs and still meet the needs of the turtle and tortoise If you don't meet his basic needs he won't live. AND, you need to feed him something he recognizes as food. No worms, tomato, insects, mealworms, pellets. I cannot remember the l saw a tortoise in the wild get a jar of pellets open. It's easy enough to pick him dandelions, buy kale at the store, buy a package of Spring Mix at the store. He is not going to eat box turtle food. I realize he is in a temporary enclosure, but he still has basic needs you need to take care of. Get 2 clamp lights and put an incandescent bulb in one and a black light bulb for nighttime heat in the other. Do the same for the Ornata. Use this link and read how to care for that baby or you won't have him for very long. I know this care sheet will help you...
.tortoiseforum.org/threads/african-spurred-tortoise-sulcata-care-sheet.52524/
So what brand and lights should I get and how much watts should it be at

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Something tells me this baby sulcata was an impulse buy. You seem totally unprepared for taking care of a baby tortoise. Please read the info provided in the links above and make adjustments to the way you have the baby set up. His life depends upon it. And get him out of the tub with the box turtle. Ornata are very aggressive and your baby might be injured or killed by the turtle.

I'm so glad you found our Forum. We'll try to help you all we can.

M

Maggie Cummings

Ok so I'm wondering on what types of lights I should get and brand. Also

So what brand and lights should I get and how much watts should it be at

If you still want to keep your temp tub for him until you move just get a regular clamp light fixture and put an incandescent bulb (regular light bulb) in it. That won't hurt him for a few weeks. But when he's set up permanently, buy a Powersun 100 watt UVB light. Right now, to me, UVB is not as important as warming him up, and keeping him warm and a 75 watt regular bulb and the black light bulb I mentioned before will take care of that. He should have light for 11 to 12 hours a day, and the black light bulb all night. Sulcata are strict herbivores, so he should eat grasses and certain weeds. A baby like yours can eat dark leafy greens from the store until he gets set up permanently. It would be good for him if you give him a nice set up in the house and a predator proof sem-shady place for a few hours outside. Remember, birds can carry him off. Crows would pick him up then drop him from a telephone pole and eat the insides. So he must be protected when outside, and he is too little to spend all day outside. Please keep asking questions and we will try to help you all we can. You have acquired an exotic species that needs specialize care. You do know how big he will get...right?
Just for comparisons, here's my Bob...he gets some watermelon once a summer. Yours is too little for that much sugar. Their bodies can't process sugar the way ours can. But when he's bigger and getting a good diet for his species a bit of watermelon won't hurt him. I hope i have helped you some...IMG_1831.JPG

Killerrookie

If you still want to keep your temp tub for him until you move just get a regular clamp light fixture and put an incandescent bulb (regular light bulb) in it. That won't hurt him for a few weeks. But when he's set up permanently, buy a Powersun 100 watt UVB light. Right now, to me, UVB is not as important as warming him up, and keeping him warm and a 75 watt regular bulb and the black light bulb I mentioned before will take care of that. He should have light for 11 to 12 hours a day, and the black light bulb all night. Sulcata are strict herbivores, so he should eat grasses and certain weeds. A baby like yours can eat dark leafy greens from the store until he gets set up permanently. It would be good for him if you give him a nice set up in the house and a predator proof sem-shady place for a few hours outside. Remember, birds can carry him off. Crows would pick him up then drop him from a telephone pole and eat the insides. So he must be protected when outside, and he is too little to spend all day outside. Please keep asking questions and we will try to help you all we can. You have acquired an exotic species that needs specialize care. You do know how big he will get...right?
Just for comparisons, here's my Bob...he gets some watermelon once a summer. Yours is too little for that much sugar. Their bodies can't process sugar the way ours can. But when he's bigger and getting a good diet for his species a bit of watermelon won't hurt him. I hope i have helped you some...View attachment 79810
Yes I do know they will get big. Once we move I'm going to get a 50 gallon tank for it and build a outdoor area for it. I'm kinda new at the tortoise caring but I will get the hang of it and do better at it. You have to start somewhere right :) I'm on my way to go buy the lights and food right now. And get the boxing turtle out of the tub and place it in a separate one. And thanks for the help

M

Maggie Cummings

Good for you... and them...:) We all made mistakes in the beginning, and we are here to help you...

M

Maggie Cummings

I was wondering where did you get your sulcata tortoise

My sister has a turtle and tortoise rescue in Calif and I lived in Calif at the time, and somebody dropped Bob off at her rescue when he was 5 years old. She had a full house at the time and another male Sulcata, Dudley, and he can smell male Sulcata and simply raises a big fuss, breaks down fences and stuff. So she asked me if I would keep Bob for 2 weeks for her until she could find a home for him...that was 11 years ago. He is so different and has such a great outgoing personality that he's just stayed with me. Everybody on the forum knows I just adore him. I have bored the forum with Bob stories a lot, if you do a search on Bob you could find some complete with pictures.
He and I live in Oregon now and he is set up in a 20' x 12' heated and insulated shed of his own, with a doggie door and goes out rain, snow and sun. Sometimes he's a big pain in my a**,(maybe most times) but so worth it. He's 150 pounds now...
I have several other turtles and tortoises and none of them has a personality like he does. Maybe Queenie my Hermanni does, but she causes no trouble at all and I can't say that about Bob.:)

JoDee8147

Western New York
Can you post a picture of your tort? I've never heard of PetSmart selling sulcatas...but I very well may be wrong

Killerrookie

My sister has a turtle and tortoise rescue in Calif and I lived in Calif at the time, and somebody dropped Bob off at her rescue when he was 5 years old. She had a full house at the time and another male Sulcata, Dudley, and he can smell male Sulcata and simply raises a big fuss, breaks down fences and stuff. So she asked me if I would keep Bob for 2 weeks for her until she could find a home for him...that was 11 years ago. He is so different and has such a great outgoing personality that he's just stayed with me. Everybody on the forum knows I just adore him. I have bored the forum with Bob stories a lot, if you do a search on Bob you could find some complete with pictures.
He and I live in Oregon now and he is set up in a 20' x 12' heated and insulated shed of his own, with a doggie door and goes out rain, snow and sun. Sometimes he's a big pain in my a**,(maybe most times) but so worth it. He's 150 pounds now...
I have several other turtles and tortoises and none of them has a personality like he does. Maybe Queenie my Hermanni does, but she causes no trouble at all and I can't say that about Bob.:)
My favorite tortoise is the Aldabra tortoise. Im ordering one once I move.

M

Maggie Cummings

I'm all for you having tortoises...but learn about taking proper care of your Sulcata first. Then research the next species you want first. Every different species needs different care. Learn how they need to be housed, fed, all the requirements. Then for an Aldabran...save up over $1000.
You'll never find one of those in a rescue for adoption.

Killerrookie

I'm all for you having tortoises...but learn about taking proper care of your Sulcata first. Then research the next species you want first. Every different species needs different care. Learn how they need to be housed, fed, all the requirements. Then for an Aldabran...save up over $1000.
You'll never find one of those in a rescue for adoption.
I know I own one a male 17 year old it's fun having one I recommend one. But they get huge and one thing I'm not looking forward to is moving it to houston. I'm ordering a female.

M

Maggie Cummings

I know I own one a male 17 year old it's fun having one I recommend one. But they get huge and one thing I'm not looking forward to is moving it to houston. I'm ordering a female.
You didn't know how to care for a Sulcata and yet you keep a 17 yr old Aldabran? Are you sure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A tortoise needs a 'sun' that he can sit under and warm up. Just having the ambient temp around him isn't good enough. So, yes, he still needs a heat lamp, and preferably a UVB lamp.