Help, my torties won't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

skittles1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Its natural for them to poo in the release urates, did I spell that right?. soak them before feeding them and then of course don't soak them again until the next day. they will have time to absorb some of what they eat. sorry I forgot to mention that part. always soak before feeding it stimulates the apitite and the bowels. as they get better soaking two to three times a week is enough. btw pooing in the water is not a bad thing it keeps the cage cleaner. I let mine sit in the pooey water for several minutes to be sure they are done. sounds gross but I have to change the water a lot less often. I do make sure they get plenty of time in the fresh clean water. And your tort can actually get a respiratory infection from being dehydrated. number one treatment for that ... daily soakings in warm water. so even for ailing russian soakings are a good thing. unless your vet says different and then I would argue. Also outside time when weather permits is great. mine was moved outside even before he fully recovered from his bad diet. It really made him come to life. but I live in florida. depending on where you live it might not be fit for yours to go outside. But real sunshine has not subsitute. when i have to bring them in, i do use a uv light.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
K well soaking before they eat sounds logical to me but problem with that is, they eat while I am at work. The only time I have to soak them is in the late afternoon. Guess having had all day to soak up the goodies from breakfast should be sufficient huh? K, I will soak Talulah and Opi everyday and see if that helps at all. Also, I am in Washington and for two whole days in a row its gonna be 65+ degrees! Whoo hoo! I can at least get them out in the real sunshine for a bit.

Another question, while I was at the reptile show here in Puyallup I talked to a lady who bred Hermanns. She said that she does not scoop out the pee soaked substrate. She just mixes it around and lets it dry because, she said "it's just water anyways". What do you all think about that?

skittles1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well I like a clean house to live in. I am sure they do too. since I wet down the bedding and mix it up to distrute the moisture I am sure I am mixing in some waste too. If I see it I pick it out. But I also change out my bedding maybe once every month to 6 weeks. They seem to love digging in the fresh bedding and I also move things arround the enclosure and take some things out and put new things in. they like to explore very much. or you could say they like to root arround everthing and destroy all my hard work. LOL My male will actually watch everything I do and then try to undo it as fast as he can.

You could always soak them in the afternoon and try giving them a little snack then. good luck!!

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Great I agree with you. I do pick out what I see and mix it up to distribute. After some time doing that its been thinned out enough to add clean stuff. I also change the enclosure surroundings too. They do love to explore new avenues and places to climb. As long at the food dish is at the same end of the table I really think they appreciate the change of scenery.
I will keep you posted on thier progress as I soak everyday and try everything I can think of to get Talulah to eat. I may have to isolate her if I am gonna monitor her eating. I hate to do that because I can tell she apprecites the company.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Talulah ate better today. She had carrots, banana and collard green. She was also active a bit longer today before going back to bed. Funny thing is, when she is awake she is the most active of the 4 torts. :)

Attachments

• Talulah.jpg
    Talulah.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 15

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Fruit should be no more than 10% of a tortoise's diet. I would use it as a treat and not as a staple. Too much fruit changes the gut flora and allows for the tortoise to become infested with parasites. Also, collard greens should be used only occasionally. Its one of those veggies that can cause goiter. Russians love broad-leaf weeds and plants such as clover, dichondra, plantain, chickweed, chia, etc. You can buy a small bag of Spring Mix from the produce section (in the packaged lettuce section), and a small bag would probably feed your two guys a couple meals. They love it.

Yvonne[/i]

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Fruit should be no more than 10% of a tortoise's diet. I would use it as a treat and not as a staple. Too much fruit changes the gut flora and allows for the tortoise to become infested with parasites. Also, collard greens should be used only occasionally. Its one of those veggies that can cause goiter. Russians love broad-leaf weeds and plants such as clover, dichondra, plantain, chickweed, chia, etc. You can buy a small bag of Spring Mix from the produce section (in the packaged lettuce section), and a small bag would probably feed your two guys a couple meals. They love it.

Yvonne[/i]

What is Goiter?
I have been under the impression that collard greens was really good for them due to high amounts of calcium. Guess thats wrong.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
torts4me said:
What is Goiter?
I have been under the impression that collard greens was really good for them due to high amounts of calcium. Guess thats wrong.

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I didn't see your question until this a.m. Goiter is a swelling of the thyroid gland. There's nothing wrong with feeding a bit of collard occasionally. I buy collards once a week and my tortoises get one or two leaves a week along with lots of other greens. The point I was trying to make is that to feed too much collard (every day or to the exclusion of other foods) is not good.

Yvonne

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi all, an update on Opi and Talulah. Opi is doing very well. He still walks funny but I suspect that is from the lack of proper light/heat/uvb and diet. But he is eating well and gaining weight. I am very please with his progress and attitude.
Talulah on the other hand has not changed at all. She is still active when awake but eats very very little. She does not like the captive life I am pretty sure. When ever I pick her up then put her back down "she runs for it". I don't bother her except for the soakings. So there is no reason for her to dislike me. I don't mess with the torts much other than the tidyin' up of the habitat. Don't quite know what her issue is but I am being patient.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Greetings ~

I would say you need to take Talulah to the vet for some shots and perhaps a forced feeding if you want her to survive. Also, I'm confused, you said
She does not like the captive life I am pretty sure.
so does that mean she is wild caught?

Glad to hear Opi is thriving...
Purpod

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
torts4me you might want to try soaking her in avian vitamins. Just add enough to her water to turn it yellow this will help with the uptake of vits she may lose when she evacuates in the water. Have you had her poo checked for parisites?
Glad to hear Opi is doing well and it sounds like Talulah may need more time. It took my female Greek 2 years to warm up to me. Do you weigh them regularly. I would suggest you do weigh them regularly that way you know if they are losing weight as often when you can finally see it it can be too late. Often weighing them regularly will identify a real problem early.

Status
Not open for further replies.