HELP! My tortoise sneezed

RainsOn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE OK
He has been outside in his habitat since it warmed up. We had some rain and a couple cool nights. I brought him in for a good warm soak. While eating, he seemed to have some trouble swallowing. Then, I think he sneezed: a little noise escaped as his head quickly retreated into his shell. Then, he did it again. Was that mucous? I wiped his nose. His eyes don't look right: a bit sunken - ? and kinda chalky ring around. Can they get a fever? Is it time for a Gerber carrot food soak? He is in his warm indoor habitat for now and I think he might have just coughed - ? Can they cough? He enjoyed his soak as usual and ate very well (salad mix, squash, mushroom and carrot).
Worried mother

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep him indoors with a temp no lower then 80 day and night and give him a proper basking spot of 95-100. Give daily warm soaks and feed and have water available as normal. Keep this up for at least a week. If he gets worse, then I would seek a vet visit. If he improves, then keep this up for one more week after he seems to be back to normal. Do give him some humidity by spraying the enclosure a couple times a day, but don't soak it. You only want between 30-50% humidity.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Thank you so much! Big Help and puts my mind at ease.