I need help my tortoise won’t eat

tortcaden

Location (City and/or State)
Fayetteville North Carolima
I got him yesterday and fed him kale. He isn’t really eating much and he hasn’t defecated since yesterday morning. I haven’t noticed any urination either. His habitat has plenty of space and is perfect temperature. He doe sent seem sick and I gave him a soak. What do I do.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum! Your tortoise is fine. The stress from relocating usually causes them to not eat or be active, but he should be fine in a few days.
Chances are, you are not doing everything right that you think you are. Please read these links and come back with questions :)
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
Could we see a picture of your tortoise and enclosure?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

One day is too soon to expect him to be eating; give him some time.

TechnoCheese is right that even the best beginner sometimes gets bad info so do take a look at the care sheets. For example, kale isn’t a *bad* tortoise food but it’s not only thing you’ll want to feed.

Looking forward to pictures!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I gave fruit and cucumber too

Russian tortoises can’t really digest fruit, so it and cucumber should only be fed once a month or less as a treat. Cucumber has too much water, and your tort needs to be eating broad leaf weeds.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
A book I am reading says that Russians prefer thick skin vegetables

Sadly, books on tortoises are usually spouting out the incorrect, decade old information that our forum soon learned was false. I would recommend forgetting everything you know from that book. What year was the book made?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Idk but he seems to like the apple and has started to eat some more

Again, it’s not good for him. People like junk food, but does that mean they should eat it? Giving them too much fruit is the equivalent of giving milk to someone who is lactose intolerant.
Please read the links and come back with questions :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
What do apples do to a tortoise that is so bad

Like everyone has said, your tortoise *CANNOT DIGEST SUGARS*. It gives them diarrhea, and will cause gut flora to bloom(aka it’ll give him worms.) along with the cucumber, which is 95% water and has no nutrients or fiber.
There is no absolute best food, because your tortoise needs a varied diet. Here are a few that you can find in your backyard-
Dandelion
Chickweed
Hawksbit
Clover
Make sure that your yard is not chemically treated(no pesticides, fertilizers, etc) before feeding weeds from your yard. Even a small amount of pesticides is enough to kill.
These are just a few that I can remember. If you must buy from grocery stores, favor endives as staples, and spring mix makes a good base for diets. You can also buy prickly pear cactus, also known as paddle cactus or “nopales” in Spanish food stores.
Keep in mind, your tortoise needs a varied diet and cannot be eating the same things every day. Don’t feed kale often, because it’s high in oxalates and interrupts calcium absorption. But like all foods, it can be fed in moderation.
Do some searching on the Russian section of the forum, and you’ll find so much more.