Help Needed (jaw stuck in shell)

Luke.

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hello everyone, I hope you all are doing well. I have a little emergency and was needing some guidance. This morning, I went about my daily routine to check on my tortoise ( a Pardalis Pardalis Leopard). I turned on my enclosures lights and placed my Leopard in his soaking tub. After I prepared his food and was ready to remove him from his tub, I noticed something strange. Usually he has his head out and is looking around or drinking but this time his head was tucked back extremely far. After closer inspection, I discovered that his lower jaw is "stuck." Has anyone ever had this happen? I really don't know what to do. He can not remove his head to eat or drink. This just has me really worried so any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Luke.

Ohio
Also, I was not able to get any pictures because he keeps pulling his legs in really tight. If I am able to get a clear shot, I will definitely share it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This seems to happen frequently with leopard tortoises. I don't know if the distance between top and bottom shells is too short or what. I have freed them by reaching in with two fingers and turning the head to the side, then pulling it out. It's not an easy chore, and you may need to take him to a vet if you can't do it. The vet can mildly anesthetize him to make it easier.

Luke.

Ohio
This seems to happen frequently with leopard tortoises. I don't know if the distance between top and bottom shells is too short or what. I have freed them by reaching in with two fingers and turning the head to the side, then pulling it out. It's not an easy chore, and you may need to take him to a vet if you can't do it. The vet can mildly anesthetize him to make it easier.
Thank you for the reply! I have tried to reach in but every time I get close he pulls his legs in. Also I worry about hurting his neck or legs but he is probably tougher than I think.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You have to grab a front leg and hold it out. It helps to have more than your own two hands.