Help needed please.

Sabz

Location (City and/or State)
United kingdom
Hi,

Just want to say firstly thank you if you're reading this thread.

I am a first time turtle owner and i just need some advice.

I have 2 musk turtle 1 year old and 10 month
2 map turtles both just over 8 weeks.

I have a elite filter, 1 heater, 1 uvb bulb and 1 uva bulb . I have gravel and pebbles in my tank, ramps, hide out and two rocks. (At the moment ive only got my uvb light on, but im thinking of putting my uva light on too as the water is not as warm as it use to be)

The previous owner told me when starting up the tank fill 8.5L boiled water and 8.5L warm to cold water then let cool down.

I put tap safe in and also turtle water freshener and aqua bomb in the filter. I did boil all the stones and rocks.

I have tested my Ph N02 N03 and ammonia levels. However today my ammonia levels have gone high ive put the ammonia remover in tested again after 2 hours and still in.

I do weekly 50% water change, i add normal water in then add tap safe and water freshener in but my ammonia levels never last 0 for long.

I clean my tank fully every 2/3 weeks.

Can anyone please help me out im also starting to get small bubbles too.

I have added photo of my tank too.

The tank is roughly 75cm by 25cm i could be wrong as i used a phone ruler, but i will re measure again when i find my ruler and tape.

Thank you so much again

20201210_134301.jpg20201210_134849.jpg20201210_134856.jpg

shelledfriends

10 Year Member!
Hi there,
Not sure what an "elite" filter is but it is possible it is not big enough to hold adequate media to handle the bio load. You can try moving up to a larger filter but adding plants and vacuuming the gravel to remove waste would also help.

I just realized that your turtles are pretty small so the bioload should not be too much but I would still evaluate if the filter is appropriate. It is also possible the setup hasn't been up long enough for the nitrifying bacteria to get established.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think your filter is big enough. Look for one that sits outside the tank and siphons water out then gravity back in. Or a canister filter. Also, get a dome for the light so the light/heat is directed back into the water, and mount it over the dock.

Another thing that helps keep the water clean is to remove the turtles into a separate tub of water to feed them. Then put them back after an hour or so.

Sabz

United kingdom
Hi, Thank you so much for your reply i use this filter (see link below please) . The turtles don't use the dock, they use the rock more than anything else. They like hiding under the dock thats why the light is facing the rock.

Sorry i have another question i know it takes time for the water cycle to work, but what do i do when the water starts smelling and going low and dirty. Should i reclean it all or just take 25% water out add some clean water with tap safe then wait 6 weeks then reclean the whole water again?

shelledfriends

10 Year Member!
Hi, Thank you so much for your reply i use this filter (see link below please) . The turtles don't use the dock, they use the rock more than anything else. They like hiding under the dock thats why the light is facing the rock.

Sorry i have another question i know it takes time for the water cycle to work, but what do i do when the water starts smelling and going low and dirty. Should i reclean it all or just take 25% water out add some clean water with tap safe then wait 6 weeks then reclean the whole water again?

Hi Sabz,
Looks like the largest of that is meant for only 15 gallon tank. When it comes to turtles we need to remember that they are much more messy than fish and produce more waste than fish. Like Yvonne mentioned you might want to consider a canister filter OR a home made filter that can hold more media and also move the water around quite a bit, that would also help with the bubble/foam you talked about previously which might be the result of protein build-up from the food you feed. If you are not in a position to get a larger filter then at least consider using an internal filter that would disturb the water surface a bit, like the Whisper internal filters https://www.chewy.com/tetra-whisper-internal-aquarium-power/dp/133163?utm_id=272485391&msclkid=e16c0b29793212156c1354ffbf1573f7&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=EC-Shopping-Product Targets-Consumables&utm_term=4585238368514457&utm_content=Tetra. Even that isn't going to do much other than let you get through a week before you have to change water.

Also, feeding in a different container like Yvonne mentioned would also help. I personally avoid this to reduce stress but most turtles don't seem to mind. If feeding in the tank then don't overfeed. Turn off the filter when feeding and after 10 minutes or so remove any food that hasn't been eaten and then turn on the filter.

As for your question about cycling, using a product like this, https://www.chewy.com/fluval-cycle-biological-booster-water/dp/124246 , would help a bit and until the system is established you can leave the filter media submerged in some of the aquarium water while you change the water in the tank.

Please note that with that size filter you are not going to see much cycling happen since it is too small but it will be OK as long as you are okay with weekly water changes. You can also consider adding a sponge filter, depending on the depth of water, and that will help but again not completely.

If I were you I would consider adding aquatic plants to help with the water quality. Hyacinths, water lettuce, ancharis, hornwort all help a great deal.