Help! Once more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleigh B

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yucaipa CA
OMG! Today, I was holding Sergant frog, and I noticed movement near his water dish, so I set him in a seperate container, and lifted his water dish, and the ground MOVED! His tank was full of ants! What should I do! I'm keeping sergant frog out of his glass tank for a couple days inorder to let the ants and crickets battle each other, then tommorow i'm gunna clean it up and wash it out, but what should I put on the stand to keep the ants away? My friend suggests the clean product comet, but i'm not sure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oat meal or corn meal. I have never tried it, but someone else asked the same question earlier this year for the torts and that was two things to use that won't hurt the tort so should be safe for Sergant frog too.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Ashleigh B said:
but what should I put on the stand to keep the ants away?
you can trace the legs of the stand with chalk. the ants wont walk through it. if they can't get onto the stand, they cant get into your tank.

to re chalk the line as needed is easy to do. its cheap, readily available, and if you have company you could temporarily wipe up the chalk with no problem. its definitely safe should you have kids or other pets around too..

good luck

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I've been having ant issues, too... Had a swarm get into one of my snakes' tubs, and a line develop heading straight into one of my mouse tanks. Ew! What worked for me was to spray the surrounding area and stand with diatomaceous earth (FOOD grade!!! not filter grade!) mixed into water. Just dusting with DE would work, too; I just happened to have DE mixed with water in a spray bottle from a previous battle with mites. The ants in the snake tub happened on Thanksgiving, and I haven't seen a single ant since... As far as the mice, that was just in the past couple days and they're outside, so we'll see whether it did the trick or not in the coming weeks.

The DE shouldn't hurt your frog (never had an issue using it around my toads) or any other vertebrate animal in the house, however it will kill the crickets if you use it inside the tank. Best bet would be to scrub the tank, change the substrate, and only dust/spray the stand, floor, and maybe the tank's frame, rather than inside the tank. Try to find where the ants are coming from and dust there, too.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Chalk the tank, use DE or put moats on the legs of the stand. I wouldn't use comet personally.

poison

5 Year Member
wow i had a ant problem at my old house i hate ants so much they killed one of my mantellas.

Status
Not open for further replies.