Help please!! (noisy breathing)

yillt

So today I took Billy to the vet after being abit worried about his breathing. They said he was fine and I should go back if I was worried. When we arrived at the vet he stopped breathing badly. I dont know how or why. So now he's in the bath and his breathing is bad again. It's like lots of little sneezes every 10 seconds or so. It sounds like a hiss or something. There are no bubbles in his nose. His weight is 365 grams. He came out of hibernation four days ago and is active and eating. Please help.

Razan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Riverside, CA
So today I took Billy to the vet after being abit worried about his breathing. They said he was fine and I should go back if I was worried. When we arrived at the vet he stopped breathing badly. I dont know how or why. So now he's in the bath and his breathing is bad again. It's like lots of little sneezes every 10 seconds or so. It sounds like a hiss or something. There are no bubbles in his nose. His weight is 365 grams. He came out of hibernation four days ago and is active and eating. Please help.

Active and eating is always good.
Hopefully someone will be along shortly to advise you. Just wanted to bump up your thread.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
What was his weight before hibernation? How do you hibernate Billy - where do you put him, what temperature is it kept at, how do you maintain the temperature, what did you do to prepare him for hibernation?

Did the vet do any tests? Take any swabs for cultures? What temperature is Billy's enclosure being kept at now?

Kasia

Poland

We live in times when You can always record a move with him breathing badly, show it to Your Vet and ask if You should come in again or not. You can also paste it hear to show as what You are dealing with :)
Waiting for more info :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Go to the pharmacy and purchase a little squirt bottle of sterile saline solution. You can find them in the contact lens department. Then squirt some up into each nostril. Not a little weak squirt, but a firm strong squirt. Anything that's lodged in there will be flushed out into his mouth (the other end of the nostrils ends up in the roof of the mouth).

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
My tortoise also does that sneezing/hissing thing. But she does it only when i take her out of her enclosure or when im putting her in the water to soak. Its less frequent now though. Should i also be worried? I figured it was her way of telling me she doesnt like that. Like a big exhale.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
My tortoise also does that sneezing/hissing thing. But she does it only when i take her out of her enclosure or when im putting her in the water to soak. Its less frequent now though. Should i also be worried? I figured it was her way of telling me she doesnt like that. Like a big exhale.
Hearing the "big exhale" when you disturb them is perfectly normal.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
My babies breathing used to be so quiet and barely noticable but as they got used to living with us and became bolder they don't seem to try to keep things as quiet anymore. I too hear that big hissy exhale when disturbing them, or often hear different sounds at night. When I first noticed those I too was very nervous and worried but this has become a new normal. All the above comments are great. Just make sure those little tiny nostrils are unobstructed and if in doubt flush with saline drops. Saline will not hurt even if some drips down the airway. Your vet would know if there was airway or lung problem. Keep an eye on your pet. It's very good that you are being so careful.