Help please with che

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmitch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Reno nv
I am purchasing a che to help keep my redfoots enclousure warm during winter but im very worried about fire, the other lamps i use sit directly on top of the metal mesh and are fine but can i do the same with a che or will that be to hot? The enclosure is made of plywood and is old im so scared it will catch fire, here is a picture of the enclousure in my garage any ideas on how i can mount light fixture above it? I am also going to purchase a thermostat to help control the temp.

Attachments

• che.jpg
    che.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 33

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Either cut a hole big enough for the plug to go through and hang Che inside, or cut a hole the size of just the Che and the dome will rest on the mesh.

cmitch

5 Year Member
Reno nv
What could happen if I put right in top metal?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
cmitch said:
What could happen if I put right in top metal?

I don't really think anything will happen. After some time though, the metal may get brittle and break easy. However, I don't think it will start a fire.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Don't put the CHE on top of the metal mesh, they get hot enough to burn you so it's not a good idea. Like Wellington said, cut out a hole in the mesh and suspend it through.

http://www.redfoots.com/emitter/color.htm

This build costs ~$12 to make at Lowe's or Home Depot. Here's what mine look like:
55rmgx.jpg

Hold them down with some pipe hanger from the plumbing isle at either of the aforementioned stores. It's just plastic ribbon ~1/4 of an inch wide with holes punched systematically throughout.

If you really want to keep heat in, I'd cover the metal mesh with a drop cloth or shower curtain during the winter. You could just cut them out to size and place it on the mesh.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've used CHEs resting directly on top of half inch hardware cloth and eighth inch regular metal reptile caging without issue. Try it and check the temps of the metal around the CHE after its been running a while.

For a garage in Reno, I think you will need much more insulation and a closed chamber with the heating elements inside for winter.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
I am so paranoid about fire I actually ended up getting my guys a heat pad from coastalsilkworms.com to use in the garage on cold winter nights. I'll still have their lights and stuff on in the day, but will be able to sleep better at night if I don't have anything that gets so hot it could burn my tort or catch fire if it fell.

Status
Not open for further replies.