Help!problem breeding and identification subsp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yannick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
P1030633-LoRes.jpgI decided to make a post even If I posted in another post before just because I went and take pics of my group(Is there a possibility to identify them in the same time? Thanks!)...my 2 females are around 800g and my 2 males don't seem to be able to breed them...
they are trying...biting,slamming them and everything(they are very aggressive!!!) but when they try to mount them, the females just turn suddenly and don't let them do their buisness.
I also just put them for just a while with them as they are super aggressive,bitting off scales!
and I cannot leave the two males together for too long with the females as they will kill each other!
So I'm really wondering what could be wrong here?
Anyone has an idea?
Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
They all look like T.h.horsfieldii to me Yannick. I'm wondering if the females aren't big enough. How long are they (SCL)?

How are your T.g.graeca doing?

Danny

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
my russian 6 inch shell is 600grams..

so i would think hers are big enough..

lets see

And i feel yannak is trying to say the girls are not allowing him to. am i right?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yup I got that Terra :D I'm just trying to whittle down possibilities.

Danny

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
egyptiandan said:
Yup I got that Terra :D I'm just trying to whittle down possibilities.

Danny

There i go again, talking out of turn and sounding stupid.. Sorry

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Your fine Terra :) and to go off topic for a minute :p Your female is about 200g to light Terra. She should be around 800g.

Danny

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I know she is to light, I am very worried about her, i got her that light and i posted about it, but i didnt get any one to tell me what to do...

yannick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Canada
Hi
Thanks Danny for the identification!
My females are almost 6 inches now and the males around 4.5 inches
The females really don't let them do...is it because they are not mature enough and if so when ready they will give the males a chance ?
My Greeks are doing great! Thanks!not too many babies this year tough!just 6 fertile eggs out of 20!
I guess I should cool them a bit longer in the fall to make them more fertile or is it just normal that some years are better than others?
Thanks

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes the females are just a wee bit to small. They need to be 6 inches on the nose and bigger to lay.

You shouldn't have to cool the males off for them to be fertile. Cooling off may even hurt their fertility. I think if you feed them well and give them and the females a break by keeping the males seperate for a month or 2 in the summer. Than the males should be raring to go in the fall.

Your welcome,
Danny

yannick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Canada
Hi
Thank you so much Danny!
I will let those females grow a bit until I try to put the males with them again...
Thanks again!
You 're always a great help !
Yannick

-ryan-

5 Year Member
I have kept my male with my females for almost four years and he bred them regularly (even though he was only a little over 1.5 years old when he joined them). I've gotten a ton of eggs, and some of them have hatched (I am not very adept at using the incubator yet).

I agree that the females may still be too small, but also it might just be the fact that you are only giving them limited time with the male(s). I have separated my male from my females for the past month and been just introducing one female at a time, and I find that they are much better at resisting his 'moves'. However, I took him out because I wanted to give some of the new females some time to settle in. Also, the enclosure I don't feel is big enough for five adult russians.

Be patient. Also, I noticed you have cypress mulch as ground cover. What provisions have you made for nesting? The hardest time I had with initially getting eggs was getting the females on enough dirt that they would nest. I ended up having to put them in a stock tank with 8" of dirt, because they refused to use nest boxes and the like.

Very cool to hear of more people interested in breeding these little tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.