Help! Russian eye problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

princess.tort

5 Year Member
Hi everyone!

So my little Russian/horsefield tort had some eye problems, sometimes she wasn't opening them and she kept rubbing them as if they irritated her!

I thought it was because her substrate was too dry so I changed it so coco coir!

She seemed to get better and back to normal until recently her eyes sometimes get swollen and she can't open them!

Like now she can't open them at all and I've put some cream on them so hopefully she will soon!

She hasn't been eating as much lately either but I don't know if that's because she can't see it!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sarah x

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sarah:

What kind of light do you use?

princess.tort

5 Year Member
Hi Yvonne,

I use a 60w basking spot lamp (attached a pic of the box and the lamp)

Should I bring her to the vet?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379363833.983517.jpg

Thanks,
Sarah

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379363784.495591.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you post a pick of her and her eye. How long have you used the light? Is it a new bulb? If its a new bulb, it could be too bright, some need a burn in period to not be as bright and intense as when new. Can you turn the light off and use a ceramic heat emitter for basking and a fluorescent bulb or regular house bulb (not coil) for light and see if that helps her. Also try flushing her eyes with water when you have her in a soak. If anything gets worse or she still is not eating, I would take her in.

New Desert Tortoise Mommy

5 Year Member
Mu desert tortoise is a week old and his eyes were open them out of no where closed. I have a big thread if u click on my profile nd look for it u may be able to get some good advice :)

please and thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.