HELP! (sluggish russian)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Farris

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oceanside, Ca
I have had my tortoise for about two years now. I bought him as a baby when i was living in california (now im in Washington), and btw hes a russian. He has always had good health. I noticed about a week ago that he was sleeping more than normal, being sluggish. Also, upon closer inspection i saw that his eyes are shut, and he seems to not be able to open them. They aren't crusty, and i've been soaking him daily as well as misting multiple times a day. I am just freaking out because he won't eat and doesn't seem to be improving. I want to take him to a vet but my financial situation is difficult right now and i worry i couldn't afford it. I have considered giving him away to someone who can treat him and keep him afterwards (he doesn't seem attached to me and I'd rather he get proper care and be with someone else than keep him, you know?) I could obviously easily sell him online or something but i dont want to have him end up with someone who wouldnt take care of him properly, or that wouldn't know how. Any ideas? I doubt there are low cost vet clinics for reptiles...
:(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: HELP!

Hang on, someone should be along to give you ideas of what to do for him. Good luck, hope all is okay with him.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Few questions. What are you 4 temps. Night time hot side, night time cold side, daytime cold side, daytime hot side. How often are you soaking? What substrate are you using, as well as how often are you spraying? Does he have a UVB bulb. Also diet, could be a vitamin A issue but sounds like hes a little dry with eye issues.

Mrs. Farris

5 Year Member
Oceanside, Ca

I have to go to the store and get new little watch type batteries for my in tank heater but its on the same time schedule he always has been on, its usually about 95 in the basking spot. I am using orchid bark as my substrate, but tossed some out a while back and i feel like the fact its not as deep now may be making it less humid in the tank. (btw i have a 2x2 foot tank with a 10" combo heat/UV lamp 120Watt bulb). I also have some hay mix in the tank, he likes to burrow into it some times. Also, a pool with a walk up entrance that is always refilled.

My big thing is, how long can he go without eating! I am going to make all these changes, but is it going to take a long time to fix it? I see him acting so slow and it makes me worry how much time he has to turn around.

Its really sad to see him scraping at his eyes, i know hes frustrated.

oh and i feed him a diet of mixed baby greens (organic, fancy varieties) as well as occasional chopped up veggies if they are on hand, and a pellet mix i soak in water. I also shake a mineral powder on his veggies and lettuces. This is all tortoise specific products of course.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

You could try some baby food soaks. Mix baby food carrots in the soaking water. Your UVB bulb isn't a coil one is it? If so get rid of it, it has been known to cause eye problems.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Sounds like the hay to me. Bit warm for that small of an enclosure. I would remove the hay entirely. it gets moldy, and dusty and sucks any moisture out of the enclosure. I would give a good soak for about a week few times a day and get the substrate changed to solely orchid and or coco coir. He could have an irritant in his eyes from the hay or even some microscopic spores. Might want to flush his eyes with some sterile saline and rinse with water. Tortoises digest rather slowly so they can last a little while without food. If in a stressed situation and not eating can expidite the danger. but right now I would get the problem fixed and he should come around. Are his eyes weeping or "crying"?

I would switch to a tube bulb or lower wattage Mercury vapor as well. Right now you can raise it up higher and it should decrease the temps a bit.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Mrs. Farris

5 Year Member
Oceanside, Ca

wellington said:
Mrs. Farris said:
no, its one of those big bulbous ones.

The big ones are what I would call a MVB (mercury vapor bulb) which are the best ones. Does it look like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zilla-Tropical-Coil-Reptile-Bulbs-Desert-Tropical-/230600964369 or anything close to having a coil look?

No, nothing like that. Its completely round and smooth. I am pretty sure its nice, i got all my stuff from a really nice reptile specialty store in Southern California.

Mrs. Farris

5 Year Member
Oceanside, Ca

ok- an update: threw out all substrate and replaced with orchid bark only, no straw or dry stuff. also reset the temp, the hot spot is averaging 95 in the day. I have been soaking him every day and misting at least 2 or 3 times a day. His eyes seem cracked now after only a few days, and he attempted (only for a few minutes with not much luck) to bite at some lettuce. He seems to be progressing, im really hoping he'll turn around. I am going to start baby food soaks tomorrow, any recommendation as far as which foods to pick out for him?

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York

Temperature is EVERYTHING to your tortoise! They need a temperature gradient (different temps across a range) to control their body temperature. Your enclosure is much too small to create this. Your tortoise needs a basking spot of 95 degrees, but he also needs a spot to cool off. It should be low 70's. So basking 95, warm side around 80, cool side low 70's and nighttime let her drop to 60. A 2 x 2 enclosure is NOT adequate for your russian. 95 in the basking spot, is not enough information. I can almost guarantee if you straighten your temps out, all will be better. I will bet you are overheating him. Please get a thermometer to check.

They regulate their body temperature by being able to move into and out of heat.

Mrs. Farris

5 Year Member
Oceanside, Ca

My tortoise is not more than three inches long... I find it extremely hard to believe that a 2x2 foot enclosure is not large enough. I have the basking spot in the very corner of my cage and i do have a thermometer and the basking temp is 95 degrees consistently during the day. The other side of the tank is much cooler, and there are various artificial structures on that side creating shelter as well as shade. I believe i found out what i did. I don't know how i didn't consider it. A while back i found these weird little bugs (only a few, probably attracted by a treat of fruit) and got freaked out so I threw out half the substrate. There was now close to two inches instead of four, but I had a bunch of hay that he really enjoyed burrowing in so i decided to use that as coverage until i could get some more orchid bark... that completely zapped the moisture out of the tank, the soil wasn't deep enough and the dust from the hay zapped all of the moisture out of the air. He got super dehydrated, got slow and stopped eating... and here we are. Its the only things that have been changed/gone wrong since i've had him, it has to be something along those lines.

Laurie

5 Year Member

You're right, the hay can cause it to be dry. However, I still believe a 2 x 2' enclosure is much too small even if your tortoise is 3 inches. I find it difficult to believe that you can create the temperature gradient required across the span of 2'. Of course I'm not there looking at your enclosure and measuring your temperatures, maybe you are somehow doing it. I just don't think it's possible even with shade. I think it would heat up like an oven (obviously not that hot!) and shade or not, I think it would be too warm.

Mrs. Farris

5 Year Member
Oceanside, Ca

i will move my temp gauge into the coldest spot and see what i come up with.

UPDATE: He got up and is now eating lettuce, his eyes are half open now (both) and he seems to have very much improved in the vision dept.

Laurie

5 Year Member
It's really helpful if you can get a temperature gun. I use mine constantly, probably TOO much :D It just makes checking the temperatures quick and easy.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Laurie said:
It's really helpful if you can get a temperature gun. I use mine constantly, probably TOO much :D It just makes checking the temperatures quick and easy.

Laurie can I ask about your gun as I want to get one. Are the laser ones ok and the right thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.