Help! soft shells

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
In the first picture you posted that "peeling" looked like some shell fungus. Make sure your substrate isn't wet.

Sydney G

One of them was just slightly soft on the bottom. The other had more give on the bottom and sides. It might just be the normal amount. They are 6 months old and about 2.5 inches. I don't know what's wrong with the peeling. I'll try and take a better picture. So how do I keep up the humidity without making the substrate to wet?

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
One of them was just slightly soft on the bottom. The other had more give on the bottom and sides. It might just be the normal amount. They are 6 months old and about 2.5 inches. I don't know what's wrong with the peeling. I'll try and take a better picture. So how do I keep up the humidity without making the substrate to wet?

You can keep the humidity up and have substrate that is fairly dry by having a covering of some sort. You can get some clear vinyl cut at walmart and throw that over the top+lights (make sure it doesn't touch the lights though, it will melt).

Sydney G

Do i Get it cut to cover the whole top or just half since I'll have the fixture sitting on it

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Do i Get it cut to cover the whole top or just half since I'll have the fixture sitting on it

You can probably get a big enough piece cut to go over the fixture that is hanging and use some duck tape to pinch the vinyl at each corner around your enclosure.