Soft plastron

percyandlydia

I've had my baby Horsefield tortoise for three weeks and ever since we got him I noticed he had a soft plastron?
When we got him he was about 8 weeks old.
Is this normal or should I be concerned??
We are feeding him dandelions and spring mix and calcium powder every so soften. (He is also growing well weighing now 38 grams)

--------------------------------------
Percy: Horsefeild, two months old.

guille24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
wisconsin
Don't know anything about young tortoises but if u post a pic of the plastron maybe some one else can help u

milkandsam

5 Year Member
I'm still a new tort keeper, but I experience this a little with my baby. Babies shells are a little pliable.. It as explained to me that if it is like a butter lid (firm but not solid) then it is probably ok - continue making sure UVB is working and continue with calcium (with or without d3 depending on if he is going outside). However, if it is spongy then that is not good from my understanding. It should firm up within a year. However, I would keep watching and assessing... seems like with hatchlings you always want to double triple and quadruple check that everything is correct. Hope that helps a little! Hopefully people with more experience will chime in!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Don't be worried, babies start out with leathery shells that harden over time. You only need to worry if the shell starts going soft.