Softer bottom of shell

rostykochergen

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi everyone!
I had just recently adopted a baby Greek tortoise hatching that is around 8 weeks old, weighing in at 34grams and 1.2oz.

I keep his temps normal, give him plenty of sunshine, as well as plenty of calcium in his food! He poops everyday and gets warm water soaks every morning.

I noticed when I got him (at 5-6 weeks old) that the bottom of his shell in the center was a tad soft. Not spongy, but like a plastic lid feel. Should I be concerned? Or is this normal since he is a hatchling?

thanks!
Rosty K.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Totally normal. It will firm up as he gains size and become more rigid.

Babies shouldn't be outside more than an hour or two a day. It dries them out too much. My general rule of thumb is an hour of sunshine per inch of tortoise.

Calcium supplementation is good, but not too much. A tiny pinch twice a week is plenty. Calcium interferes with the absorption of other important nutrients and trace elements. Best of they get most of their calcium from a good weedy diet.

Its good that you are soaking daily. This is tremendously helpful. Does the baby also have damp substrate and a humid hide?

rostykochergen

California
Okay phew..... I was worried for a second. I figured it was normal for new hatchlings!!!

Only an hour a day of sun is what I do now! Sometimes on the more humid days I’ll put him outside for a couple hours to get some good sun! Yes he has a moist substrate.. what is the rule for that? I know not soaking wet - but also not super dry. And yes he has a humid hide - although it tends to dry out fast. Any advice for that?
Thanks!

Andrew01

Las Vegas Nevada
Hi everyone!
I had just recently adopted a baby Greek tortoise hatching that is around 8 weeks old, weighing in at 34grams and 1.2oz.

I keep his temps normal, give him plenty of sunshine, as well as plenty of calcium in his food! He poops everyday and gets warm water soaks every morning.

I noticed when I got him (at 5-6 weeks old) that the bottom of his shell in the center was a tad soft. Not spongy, but like a plastic lid feel. Should I be concerned? Or is this normal since he is a hatchling?

thanks!
Rosty K.

Mine is soft at the bottom also and also a little on the sides but looks like this I am scared

Attachments

• 415CFA6D-5B26-45DC-B621-16C00409D14C.png
    415CFA6D-5B26-45DC-B621-16C00409D14C.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 13