HELP!!!! (tortoise fell and hit shell)

Sid420

I'M WORRIED

Hi tortoise community I've had a sulcata tortise for about a month now and I'm worried because I had soaked the log where my tortoise hides when he wants somewhere humid to go

The thing is I broke that one so I go to him another one I had laying around ,it was to small and he turned inside of it and got stuck, I picked it up and he fell out and hit his net from his tank

I'm scared and hope his okay it was like 8-10 inches high from where he fell

He has a dent on his shell but I'm just really worried so it could be me his fine he went to his little spot and digged him self in also I believe his shedding

I hope anyone could help ,he has no cracks he tucked in when he fell out from inside the log but hit his she'll on the side of the tank .

Sid420

Hello everyone

Just got the hang of this after a week of trying to post any who

I have a baby sulcata named gomi :) ,I've been looking threw the Web trying to find the perfect diet for him. Lots of people recommend this site but like I mentioned I just got the hang of this.

At first the lady from the pet store told me to just feed it roman lettuce, but after looking online I got gomi turnips ,collard green ,kale for once a week and cactus pads, carrots, chard, grass and clover from my front yard I've been questioning the little dark marks on the grass so I been laying off on that so for now I feed him chard, kale, carrots and cactus pad cut really small almost every day and now and then I go out and find clean grass around the street when I walk my dog I mostly just wait till I find clean grass in my house because I'm sure there's no chemicals or fertilizer

But I was wondering if what I feed him is fine or does anyone recommend any thing ? Gomi Is maybe about 5 or 4 months not sure but his small and should I avoid all grass with small black spots ?

Sid420

I'm trying to sleep but I'm a little to worried it's 2:11am but gomi is sound asleep

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA

Sid420

Tortoises can withstand quite a hard bump on their shell. I doubt your tortoise is hurt. He'll probably be scared for a while after the trauma of falling, and he may not trust you for a while, but more than likely he's ok.

Please read the sulcata care sheet. It looks like you're using alfalfa/rabbit pellets for substrate.

What do you personally recommend ? Once home depot opens I'm gonna be omw to buy him some better substrate ,I read your forum really helpful I just have a hard time choiceing over soil , do you wet the soil where he walks around since he has to have somewhere humid ,he has his log I wet everyday and his on alfalfa pellets so I figure thats why all over his mouth is a bit green