Help! (tortoise may have eaten a necklace chain)

alex_freedie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Coast of England
I’m unsure but I think my Sulcata has eaten my necklace chain. I was sunbathing in the garden with my tortoise and my necklace got caught on my hair so I took it off and placed it on my book on the ground. My daughter then called me so I went to see her, came out no more than a couple of minutes later and the pendant was there but the chain is gone? Could my sulcata have eaten it? I’m so worried! I’ve looked everywhere! The chain was still attached the the pendant when I left it, it’s so strange. I’m really worried! Any help please let me know! She isn’t acting out of the ordinary at the moment.

KronksMom

Illinois
I'm sorry, but I think x rays may be in order. If you can find a veterinary school in the area, sometimes they will do them for a reduced price because they value the opportunity to learn over an established vet practice. Hopefully a crow saw the shiny thing and took it, they do like jewelry. But the damage a chain could do wound up in the intestines just isn't worth taking that risk, in my opinion.

alex_freedie

5 Year Member
South Coast of England
I'm sorry, but I think x rays may be in order. If you can find a veterinary school in the area, sometimes they will do them for a reduced price because they value the opportunity to learn over an established vet practice. Hopefully a crow saw the shiny thing and took it, they do like jewelry. But the damage a chain could do wound up in the intestines just isn't worth taking that risk, in my opinion.
Thank you, I have emailed my vet but will try a practise like you say as well

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For the next couple weeks you can feed real wet food - aloe, cactus, watermelon, cucumber, etc. Hopefully the chain will slip on through without becoming entangled in the intestine.