Help! Tortoise on back!on their back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morocky

5 Year Member
I've had my 2 Hermanns for a few months now and they're about 7 months old. Before this week I had found them on their backs but now it's regular. I'm worried as I often leave the house as I have two children and I need to take them to their classes.
Is there a substrate that will help them to upright themselves?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Are they falling over from the same spot? Like while trying to climb over a half log hide, or the walls of their enclosure, or is it every where? The main dangers are falling over onto their backs under the heat or in a water dish. Once you can see why they are falling, it's easier to try to fix it. What do you currently have for substrate? Once on their backs, can they right themselves?

ustwoandthekids

5 Year Member
I am having the same problem with my sulcata and have just posted a tread as well, I know people say about putting small rock in the enclosure so they have something to push against but mine just lays there does not even try to right it's self!! Like you I have children so can't stay home all day and am worrying when I go out, hope someone has some more ideas x

Morocky

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies. It seems to be everywhere. I did have a log that was the initial problem but I took that out n I didn't seem to have a problem for a while. I think it maybe when they're climbing to get out. They're in a wooden enclosure with the substrate being a mix of soil and playsand.
I've found mine on rocks before and they frantically waving legs in the air. I then place them the right way up.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Interesting, I too have one that never even tries to right itself..I wonder why.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Emrys has never managed to flip himself over on a flat side, but if it is happening EVERYWHERE then my suggestion might be a bit time consuming. Slate tiles. Make a slight tile border around your enclosure, just underneath the walls. When your tortoise goes to climb the walls, their back legs will slip on the tiles and they'll fall down forwards.

EKLC

5 Year Member
On wooden walls they get good traction and can flip over if they are doing a lot of climbing. I bet it would stop if you had a plastic tarp lining the enclosure. Could you post a pic of the enclosure?

Morocky

5 Year Member
Thank you all so much, some great suggestions. I'm guessing it's become more regular as nails are bit longer and as stated, they can get grip on wooden sides. I'm going to make some changes suggested and fingers crossed it helps.
I am also wondering if I need to separate them as there are two together and I have spotted 1 climbing over the other which could at times lead to a fall on the back.:-(

wallaceandtilly

5 Year Member
Chepstow
My tortoises kept going on their backs I bought some fish tank backing paper and put it around the inside of their table it's so smooth and slippy they can't even think about climbing and it looks great too

Morocky

5 Year Member
wallaceandtilly said:
My tortoises kept going on their backs I bought some fish tank backing paper and put it around the inside of their table it's so smooth and slippy they can't even think about climbing and it looks great too

Thanks, that's a fab idea! Will give it a go!

Morocky

5 Year Member
Hey,
I put fish tank backing paper around enclosure and since then Mo and Rocky haven't been on their backs. Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.