Help, tortoise scrape

CurtB

Location (City and/or State)
San Jose, CA
Help! So my tortoise was running around her enclosure today and she accidentally went through a small piece of cypress mulch and I think it grazed just a little of her skin! Is there any way I can treat it? I’m planning on going to the vet just to be safe :eek:

she seems to be walking fine, should I put hydrogen peroxide?

there doesn’t seem to be any bleeding or I’m not sure if there is dry blood ;O

4EE0F759-B03F-4D90-B9B4-162EC67D51A5.jpegEE4F5A19-839E-41F5-9DA6-977C8F7EA5E8.jpeg7C253BED-E5EA-4F46-BAC1-D4D32C7D3937.jpeg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Is that just food under her leg? Just clean the wound with mild soap and water and if a wound is found treat with neosporin

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Id say slow down and relax. It’s really hard to see any “wound or injury”, but no reason at all for a vet visit. Daily soaks and you are good. Make sure your substrate/mulch is well saturated. Your well hydrated wet mulch shouldnt cause any injuries.

save urself some money, no vet visit Needed.

CurtB

San Jose, CA
Greetings. Id say slow down and relax. It’s really hard to see any “wound or injury”, but no reason at all for a vet visit. Daily soaks and you are good. Make sure your substrate/mulch is well saturated. Your well hydrated wet mulch shouldnt cause any injuries.

save urself some money, no vet visit Needed.
2618D56B-7CAF-4B6E-AECB-12C35D4BEE5A.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Feel along the edges of her shell where that leg goes in when she closes up. Make sure there's no razor edge.

If there is a sharp edge, use an emory board to gently file the edge smoother.

CurtB

San Jose, CA
Yeah it looks like the skin is missing?
@Yvonne G
Feel along the edges of her shell where that leg goes in when she closes up. Make sure there's no razor edge.

If there is a sharp edge, use an emory board to gently file the edge smoother.
I’ll do that first thing in the morning once I give her her soak! Thank you!
@TortoiseWarrior, that’s what I was thinking too and it freaked me out, I applied hydrogen peroxide and neosporin on it today just to make sure she is safe. Do you know how long it takes for small skin injuries like this heal?

should I keep doing this regimen(Hydrogen peroxide & neosporin) until it heals? Should I be using anything else? Thank you! Any input would be greatly appreciated!

CurtB

San Jose, CA
Update, I assessed the area of her shell Where the small cut was just to make sure there were no shape protrusions and I didn’t find any which was good, I looked at her cut again today and it looks a lot better now than yesterday and today I applied hydrogen peroxide and Neosporin after her soak and she active as usual