HELP!!!!!! white bugs???

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Claireabbo

i noticed that my tort isnt eating. i just discovered small white bugs almost impossible to see with the naked eye. also they look like small white baby spiders. they were on his head and carapace. are they mites? i need help ASAP to know what they are and if i need to treat him!

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Claireabbo said:
i noticed that my tort isnt eating. i just discovered small white bugs almost impossible to see with the naked eye. also they look like small white baby spiders. they were on his head and carapace. are they mites? i need help ASAP to know what they are and if i need to treat him!

Mites do look like baby spiders... I have cured them on snakes by using cod liver oil... And I've also used the No pest strip on the enclosure.. I have tried a beta dine bathe...

But easiest way is to scrub the enclosure then put all the hides back in minus substrate.. Place a no pest strip in the middle on a plate and seal it up for a while.. House the animal in another set up using just newspaper as a substrate...

To treat the animal is a soak get as much of the animal under water taking care ot to drown it.. Most of the mites will drown... But some will scurry to the tip of the shell or the eyes...so keep wiping the shell off.. And use a q tip with mineral oil to get the ones that will hide on the eye lids and head... then set it up in the other enclosure

After 48 hrs.. Unseal the original enclosure Clean everything with soapy water...let it air out for a few hrs..after that you can re introduce the big guy back in..

After about 48 hrs

jbean7916

5 Year Member
White mites are often wood mites. Are you using a wood substrate? Wood mites are gross looking but won't harm your reptile. Baking your substrate before putting it in often helps get rid of them.

C

Claireabbo

yes i had wood substrate. but i changed it to try something else :)

Status
Not open for further replies.