HELP! White scutes on RES. Mineral deposits or fungus

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
Here are pictures of it. I've never seen such large areas on the shell. They feel like bone not squishy or anything. She is a rescue and was kept in a 5 gallon bucket her whole life. She's been in my female pond for about 6 months now. She she's and this what was under her scutes. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400363389.555129.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400363407.805387.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400363419.573052.jpg
I've been soaking her in Betadine water for 30 mins a day and then applying silvadene on the affected wounds. The other 3 females in pond are perfect. Anybody seen anything like this? Thanks

M

Maggie Cummings

Stop with the betadine. That kills off the white blood cells needed for regrowth. Once you have cleaned the first time with the betadine, don't do it again. I have had water turtles but have never seen that before. So I will let someone who knows better to advise you. i just wanted to tell you about the betadine..

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Stop with the betadine. That kills off the white blood cells needed for regrowth. Once you have cleaned the first time with the betadine, don't do it again. I have had water turtles but have never seen that before. So I will let someone who knows better to advise you. i just wanted to tell you about the betadine..

Wow how interesting. Ok I'll stop with that. Thanks do the advice . She's still shedding and that top portion is larger now. She seems totally healthy other than those spots. Eating, basking, fighting me when I pick her up. Ya I hope someone who has experienced this chimes in.

M

Maggie Cummings

I'm surprised that no one has responded yet, I'll PM Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think someone from The Turtle Room would be the ones to ask...@Anthony P or @Gerards

What you are seeing is bone, but I don't know if it's active shell rot or what, sorry.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I would personally use Nolvasan (chlorhexadine) solution, diluted to one part chlorhexadine (5%) to 19 parts water (95%) on the infected area. I would do that once a day, then dry dock the turtle overnight.

With that said, if you want to be sure of exactly what you are dealing with, you should have a vet run a test, just to be sure what the best course of action is.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I would personally use Nolvasan (chlorhexadine) solution, diluted to one part chlorhexadine (5%) to 19 parts water (95%) on the infected area. I would do that once a day, then dry dock the turtle overnight.

With that said, if you want to be sure of exactly what you are dealing with, you should have a vet run a test, just to be sure what the best course of action is.

I'll try that. She is still completely active and is acting healthy. I haven't had any luck with finding good vets near me. Ya the spot on her marginals is pretty alarming. Thanks for the advice

M

Maggie Cummings

Yeah, the spot on the marginals looks most alarming to me.

On the marginals, is that blood under the bone?

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah, the spot on the marginals looks most alarming to me.

On the marginals, is that blood under the bone?

I'm not sure. It's definately not an open wound. I haven't seen the vet list yet. I'll take a look

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Progress: it's been quite a while but here is an update. After the initial post I quarantined her and gave her a large basking spot and ordered a nolvasan solution. Unfortunately it took about a month to arrive and in that time the area had developed in to what was essentially soft cheese. Once it arrived I scraped off what cheese I could and gave her a good cleaning with nolvasan and dry docked her. Did this for a few weeks and returned her to the pond. The area was a lot larger than previously photographed. As she continued to shed the area truly unveiled itself. The whole right quadrant of her shell is white. It is all hardening at a good pace and all areas that become present as she sheds are not "cheesy but firm so I think we've made some progress. I'm thinking I'll take her to the vet (even though I really dislike vets) because the area is growing and I'm wondering if there is a way to remove her loose scutes without making her bleed so we can see the area in its entirety as to cure it quicker. She is still completely active and eating and being feisty so no noticeable ill effects other than the rot. Just in case you missed it she is a rescue and was kept in a container the size of a bucket her whole life with no basking area. Here are the pictures:

Last edited:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Poor little thing. I'm glad she is getting better. Do you know how old is she??

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Poor little thing. I'm glad she is getting better. Do you know how old is she??

I don't. I got her from a Mexican family who didn't speak a lick of English. They were friends of my grandmothers so I'll ask her to ask them.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I don't. I got her from a Mexican family who didn't speak a lick of English. They were friends of my grandmothers so I'll ask her to ask them.
Thank you for your reply. May God Bless you kind heart.