Help with habitat! !!

Tharris6915

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona, USA
So finally get everything set up correctly I think. I have my cool side at 70 and has around 55% humidity and warm side has mercury vapor 160 watt bulb and is around 100 degree on that side but with only 30% humidity I no I need better humid hid I'm going to make make with container but does my humidity levels need to be higher? And if I have the humid hide on cool side should I put log in middle?

I have a baby sulcata few weeks old

20150829_140442.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First the gauges you are using are not reliable and need to be tort level. Heat rises it will always be hotter towards the middle and top. cover the area around the lite with tin foil. If the light is sitting on screen, a lot of the uv is being blocked

Prairie Mom

Wellington is giving you great advice :) I just wanted to show you a photo I took of lights etc covered in tin-foil...
aluminum top smaller.jpg
(this is my travel container, but my first closed chamber was very similar)
Looks ugly, but if you are willing to do something like this you can maintain really good temps and humidity.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
You can cut an opening in your screen so the bulb is not covered by it. That is what I did. The screen still supports the frame of the light holder (I need more coffee, hope this makes sense) but the bulb is screen free. You're gonna keep that humidity up by adding water when it drops. Cool temps and high humidity = sick tort. You want warm and humid.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, the aquarium isn't big enough. Once you add some plants (either real or fake) for shade, there won't be much floor space left for walking around. I would buy the biggest plastic tub I could find and use that instead of the glass aquarium. If you buy one with a lid, you can cut holes for the lights and use the lid to keep the warm, moist air inside. And in order to get the humidity up, pour a whole pitcher of water over the substrate and mix it up with your hand.

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
If you get substrate that holds moisture in well, spay tank down with water everyday, your covered tank should keep the humidity up better.