Help with ID tortoise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Your 'found' Greek tortoise won't eat unless he can warm up his inner core to at least 80F degrees. The food won't digest at cooler temperatures.

Another thing is he may not recognise the foods you are offering him as food. They eat what they've been used to eating. That particular species should be offered dark, leafy greens, broad leaf weeds and plants.

And since she's a found tortoise I'd bet she'd really appreciate a good soak in warm water.

The small tail shows us it's female.

JoanaOD

Lewes
Dear Yvonne,

Thank you! I've ordered a lamp, bulb and lamp stand.
I've ordered some substract made of coconut and some tortoise food. Should arrive tuesday.

I've tried giving her cabbage, cucumber and apple. She didn't want any of it.
She was very active yesterday when I've placed her in the garden in the sunshine (seemed like she just wanted a way out though).

Not sure how I'm suppose to give her a bath, tried yesterday and she wasn't very pleased. How warm should the water be? How deep? How long should the bath last? Should I had anything to the water?

I'm going to order a vivarium but, again, not sure how good this will be for her. I've got lot to read! :)

Thank you for your kind help everyone!
Joana

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Joana: don't spend a lot of money on indoor supplies. This tortoise is used to living outside and won't do well indoors. Dark, leafy greens means endive, escarole, turnip and collard greens mustard greens, miner 's lettuce sow thistle, etc. not apples and cucumber or cabbage.

Using a container she can't climg out of, add enough warm water to come up to the middle of her sides.

Has any attempt been made to find this tortoise's owner?

JoanaOD

Lewes
Dear Yvonne,

I'm getting confused now. All the advise given was that the english weather/climate was not adequate for this tortoise. That it wouldn't survive without artificial lighting and heating?
I went I bought quite a lof of equipment to keep her indoors. I have got quite a big garden so would be much easier to keep her outside, if that's what she likes.
Are you saying I don't need UVB lamp, heating, etc?

Owners contact us when they loose their pets (unless obviously they have been microchipped). Otherwise if we publish a post saying we found a tortoise people might come forward saying they are the owners and there is no way we can check this.

It was found yesterday so hopefully someone will contact us if they have lost their tortoise. If no one comes forward in 2 weeks it can be rehomed.