Help with ID tortoise

JoanaOD

Location (City and/or State)
Lewes
Hi,
Please please can someone really kind help me identifying a tortoise that was found in the south of England. I’m a vet and I have no clue about tortoises. It’s not eating and I don’t really think it’s very healthy!74776209-8168-4CA2-A4BA-0651CC2BA7C7.jpeg61103DAD-29DF-4608-B0F0-B797688627A4.jpeg6A8C9436-245F-4418-B4F7-5958FAFB2478.jpeg65705B84-C0E2-4E5B-96C5-472585CD584D.jpeg6CB6806E-28AA-4640-B549-F4328C64B47E.jpeg

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
The 'spurs' on the back of the thighs in the last picture indicate that this is a Greek tortoise, possibly an Iberian as the head is quite dark. Keep her warm (warmer than it is outside in South England right now), provide a basking light, and give daily warm soaks, all will help stimulate appetite and contribute to improving her health.

Being a vet I would imagine you are doing your research, but here are these to help. Each contains good info re your tortoise. Come back with questions if you want. Good luck and welcome.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Hello, it looks like a Greek to me. They have those spurs on the backside. I’m sure someone more knowledgeable than me can ID it for you though.

JoanaOD

Lewes
I’ve got nothing except a soft crate. Where is the best place/book to read about them?

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
I’ve got nothing except a soft crate. Where is the best place/book to read about them?
Definitely check out the links RandyMichaels posted above. Those should be very helpful.

JoanaOD

Lewes
Ah! Didn’t see those, thought they were adverts! I’ll go and check those right now! Thanks so much! I hope I can save the little thing! Any idea how I can tell gender?

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia

You will need more space, as that is a full grown adult, check the guides but 8x4 is minimum.

This forum is the best place to read about them, that I have found, hands down. You have come to the right place!

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Ah! Didn’t see those, thought they were adverts! I’ll go and check those right now! Thanks so much! I hope I can save the little thing! Any idea how I can tell gender?
Sure, no problem. This forum had been very helpful for me. For gender, usually females have a shorter, stubby tail, males are m longer, but something looks odd about your torts tail.

JoanaOD

Lewes
It’s quite a big soft crate. I am still hoping someone contacts us saying they’ve lost their tortoise so it can return home. Otherwise I will need to buy quite a lot of stuff. It’s in a heated shed (heated floor). That’s the best I can do for now!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yes... I think there is
I would watch and see just how much mucus is coming out and what his urine and feces look like. That mucus could just be because he's been on the run for a bit...and it will go away...but if it doesn't go you might have to take it to a Vet...but wait and see...

JoanaOD

Lewes
That’s the one!

Attachments

• BCEEED45-1247-4623-9341-603152F062F6.jpeg
    BCEEED45-1247-4623-9341-603152F062F6.jpeg
    413.8 KB · Views: 9

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
I understand that you may only have the tort a short time if it is lost and looking to be returned, but this poor tort needs your help at the moment, and if you want it to survive...At the very least, you should provide a light. You can get an incandescent bulb for cheap from a hardware store. 65 or 75w, adjust distance to get the basking spot 100 degrees. Bring the tort out on the lawn like in your pictures for an hour or so a week, on a sunny day for UVB exposure from the sun, which the tort vitally needs.

It's imperative to provide the heat and light, which your tort will very much appreciate. Greeks love to bask! It is how they spend the majority of their leisure time. It is native to North Africa, Syria, South Spain, and other places that are hot. It will be much happier and likely healthier with this heat and light.

It also needs substrate, which it will settle into each night by digging down. This is body temp and hydration self-regulation that they cannot achieve without substrate. I would love to tell you that housing it in that soft crate with no light, heat, or substrate is going to work, but it's not. It will only get more sick.

JoanaOD

Lewes
Oh no... :(
I want to help it but especially under the circumstances anything I will order will take a few days to arrive. Also, I need to do some research for everything that I need, that will take some time too! Was looking on amazon, maybe the quickest place to order stuff from? I really appreciate your help!

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
I completely understand, the world is in a bit of turmoil at the moment and things are tough across the board. I can sympathize with that.

If not possible to go out shopping to the hardware store in your area, then ordering the bulbs are an option yes. I'm not sure what other options you have in the UK, but there are many a tortoise keeper there and a few members from there on here that might chime in, I'm not sure off the top of my head.

Much of this can be done easily in terms of availability and cost. For the enclosure you can use an old bookshelf turned on it's back if you have one or can get one from a thrift store. A bit of spare lumber kicking around and you can build one. In the short term, a large stock tank (100G+) might even serve. You want it stable so you can position lights, ideally from overhead. Use terra cotta plates from under plants for easy food and water dishes. Ideal diet is green leafy weeds from outside, dandelion, plantain, clover, this time of year the Lilac flowers will be a treat. So that part is easy. Check the link below for more great weed and flower options for feeding.

The other guides posted above have all the info concerning what route to go with substrate, housing, and hardware. I know this is more of an undertaking than you had initially planned, but it could save this little torts life :) You can do it!