Help with identification of my new tortoise

JDJ

Hi, very happy to have a new member to our family. I received a lovely present from a friend but she didn't know what type of tortoise it was. I think it is a hermanns tortoise but I am not sure. Could anyone out there help please? With thanks.

Attachments

• Maison.JPG
    Maison.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 70

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Hi. Yep, looks like a Hermann's and most likely a TH Boettgeri. Can you post pictures of the plastron, please?

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I agree, I think that is a thb. May be something from the graeca species, but it is more likely to be a hermanni. More pics required to get a positive ID though.

JDJ

Thank you so much Jabutica and Flintus. I have posted a pic of his plastron. I am pretty sure it's a he anyway! What do you think?

Attachments

• Maison Belly.jpg
    Maison Belly.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 42

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
You're welcome. Don't thank me, yet, because now I'm confused. LOL! Can't tell if that's THB for sure or a different subspecies. But, WOW, is she ever big! (Yeah, you have a girl.)

Here are shots of my guys; female in top 2 frames. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407839972.910942.jpg

May, Aussies, & THBs

JDJ

LOL - well that's awkward! I'm very happy to have a girl too though. I'll take some other pictures of her so I can continue my quest to decipher her species. I really thought it would be Hermann. Thanks again though Jabutica.

JDJ

Testudo graeca graeca - goodness this is exciting news. Thanks again. Now I can do some in depth studying on this. Thanks for all your help HermanniChris.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Testudo graeca graeca - goodness this is exciting news. Thanks again. Now I can do some in depth studying on this. Thanks for all your help HermanniChris.

Told yah not to thank me, yet. So off the mark! LOL! But now you know what she is. She's really pretty!

May, Aussies, & THBs

JDJ

Thanks. I think so too. She's such a good natured lady. I've posted a couple of pics from her morning constitutional. I've got to figure out how old she is now and what her hibernation period will be. Do you know if I should start a new thread on this? Such a newbie.

Attachments

• Maison AM 1.JPG
    Maison AM 1.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Maison AM 2.JPG
    Maison AM 2.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 26

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Please post some more close up shots of the tail and anal scute area. I'm 90% sure you have a male. You cannot compared graeca with any of the hermanni because the tail structure and shape is entirely different. Also, your best bet is to really research seasonal changes in Morocco. This is an arid species and the ones that came in this year arw very recent imports and are accustomed to a certain way of life. Hibernation may not be necessary. I do not hibernate our Moroccons.

JDJ

Thanks Chris. Here are some more. I noticed there are these spurs - does this make male? I live in Kent in England and winters aren't that bad - it gets to about minus 2 degrees celsius at the very, very worst but I heard they like to hibernate from October at between 3 to 7 degrees. all celsius. Just bought a bunch of books to read up more. Do you keep yours indoors in Winter then?

Attachments

• Maison back 1.jpg
    Maison back 1.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 17
  • maison back 2.jpg
    maison back 2.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 17

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
100% male all the way no question about it. The thigh spurs have nothing to do with sex, it's a trait of Testudo graeca subspecies (and also some Western Hermann's tortoise locales). Greek tortoises go by a second name "Mediterranean spur thighed tortoise".

Locality info is very important when it comes to Mediterranean species of tortoises because yes they may experience certain temperatures but the elements and conditions that come along with that may be totally different than what's in your area of the globe.

JDJ

100% male all the way no question about it. The thigh spurs have nothing to do with sex, it's a trait of Testudo graeca subspecies (and also some Western Hermann's tortoise locales). Greek tortoises go by a second name "Mediterranean spur thighed tortoise".

Locality info is very important when it comes to Mediterranean species of tortoises because yes they may experience certain temperatures but the elements and conditions that come along with that may be totally different than what's in your area of the globe.

Thanks Chris. Back to a male then. I've got some books coming in and been trying to read through some of the threads on this forum so will find my way through. It does get very rainy and frosty here in the winter so not at all like Morocco which I believe is here he came from. I'll keep digging. Thanks for all your help in establishing species and gender!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB

Oh, WOW! That's very interesting. Thanks, Chris!

May, Aussies, & THBs