Help with my UVBs

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I've had my Russian tortoise Franklin for 2 years now. Recently while surfing our forums I read that coil type CFL UVB bulbs are bad and eye irritation and stuff like that. I also read problems come because they're meant to be kept horizontal and many people don't, well mine is and we've never had problems. But after reading about them I'm ready to make the change and its that time of year to change bulbs so its as good a time as any to make this big change. So basically I'm still completely clueless when it comes to UVB lights since they're so important, so I was hoping a few people here could put up links to lights they use or would be good. The only thing that needs to be known is right now we're talking 20gal long tank, I hope to have him in something new by winter but no guarantee yet.
I'll also need a new fixture for that light since i'm assuming mine will not work for much other than the CFL it was made for.
So if you guys could just share some links of UVB lights and fixtures you think would work well (preferably from amazon so I can Prime ship them to me quick) it would be great! just try to be a little nice on price, I know they're pricey and i'll pay for the sake of my little buddy, but I don't want it to hurt the wallet too bad.

Also UVB testers, I don't have one, I want one, how do they work and what ones do you suggest? Ideally if something like my thermometer humidity gauge existed for UV detection, so I could just stick it on and monitor it all the time it would be great! but its probably too much of a creation in my head than a real think :)

Another question, I've been buying reptile heat bulbs, and due to the dangers I read about ceramic heaters I'm still too nervous to switch to one and he's never minded the red light (in winters it does drop below 60° so it is needed) but can you kind of do like a brief safety 101 of ceramic bulbs? and how to make it safe. I know when that time comes i'll need a new fixture too since I have a dual bulb fixture which is not usable with ceramic bulbs.

Last one, and this ones easy. Using the special reptile heat bulbs, I just read regular 100 watt bulbs work just fine... Its really that easy!!?? I literally can just go to like a walmart and get 100 watt bulbs!? Any with the exception of CFLs work?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
The problems with the CFLs was because of the phosphor used in the bulbs, with incorrect usage contributing. I've not found anything credible to suggest that the bulbs should be mounted horizontally. The manufacturers of the most common bulbs either implicitly or explicitly say that the bulbs can be mounted either way.

If you want an MVB: http://www.reptileuv.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_67&products_id=181
this bulb is actually perfect!! I can mount it in the fixture I already have for his heat bulbs and not need to use 2 lights during the day. so I wouldn't have to worry about a new fixture... I don't get why CFLs are a hype for being cheaper when its only about $10-15 cheaper than this ...