Help with soil ASAP please!

Amajoy

Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, AZ
Hi everyone,

Dezzi's table is all put together, I purchased a large bag of organic soil at Home Depot, Kellogg garden organics, all natural garden soil. I was about to dump it all in when I got a whiff of what smells like cedar to me. I remember reading something about not using cedar to build an enclosure with so now I am concerned. Should I be? I went on their website and it doesn't say what wood specifically just "forest products". Please advise if I can use this or not. I will be topping with Eco earth.

image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't give it a second thought if I were to add this to an outdoor habitat, but indoors? I really would be a little hesitant because of the odor.

Amajoy

Glendale, AZ
Thank you. I didn't feel right about it so I returned it and purchased an organic top soil with nothing in it and sphagnum moss mixed in. Then on top of that I will add Eco earth. :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you. I didn't feel right about it so I returned it and purchased an organic top soil with nothing in it and sphagnum moss mixed in. Then on top of that I will add Eco earth. :)
Do you need so many layers?
From what I've seen here the sphagnum moss is often used on top for moisture holding and something for the tort to 'nestle' in ( for want of a better word. I use it in my humid hide.
I also believe some people use the topsoil with something like orchid bark rather than another soil, to reduce mess.
So wait until a more experienced member comes along to advise.
If you do use the eco soil make sure it's not the sort that has little white bits in it.

Amajoy

Glendale, AZ
I am going to plant things so I need soil. Reading old forum posts someone suggested mixing the moss with soil otherwise plants don't do well in just the moss. The Eco earth will be my topper.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I am going to plant things so I need soil. Reading old forum posts someone suggested mixing the moss with soil otherwise plants don't do well in just the moss. The Eco earth will be my topper.
Its easier to put plants in enclosures in pots which you bury in the substrate so you can easily swap them if they get nibbled or bulldozed

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not use soil as a substrate. Orchid bark works much better.

I also would not use a table for a leopard tortoise. How will you maintain any humidity?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Have you read the caresheets for leopards there are some good suggestions there.
I use topsoil and/or coco coir, with orchid bark, and sphagnum moss under his hide for my leopard.

Amajoy

Glendale, AZ
I would not use soil as a substrate. Orchid bark works much better.

I also would not use a table for a leopard tortoise. How will you maintain any humidity?
Matter of opinion I suppose. I think I am good with my decision on substrate. I will be maintaining humidity with a green house.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Tom is one of the most experienced tortoise keepers on the forum so it is not just his opinion he is giving you but advice based on years of tried and tested methods.
Of course it is up to you, but if I was asking for help I wouldn't dismiss any offered so easily.
Have you seen the Beginners Mistakes thread? It is a great place to learn from other people.

Last edited:

Amajoy

Glendale, AZ
I ended up not needing the top soil so I used sphagnum peat moss topped with Eco Earth. I have 18" walls so I needed a lot of filler (up to 6"), plants planted and lights are on. Testing temps and humidity now. I do appreciate the advise. And yes I have read the forums.