Help with UVB lighting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, NY
Hey guys, I need help. I've read up a lot about UVB lighting but there are just too many different ones. I thought about going with the MVB but I saw a lot of reviews where a lot of people said that it burnt out too fast. Right now I'm using Repti-Glo 10.0 uvb. I went with the UVB 10.0 because prior to getting Wallie I read that for tortoises the UVB output should be 7% or more. But now that I'm reading more and more posts here, it says 10.0 is too much....Can someone help?

Note: I put the UVB lighting about 12 inches high. It seems when Wallie is basking, he can only stay in one place for a short period of time....I assumed it was because of the heat lamp(the room I have him in gets in the 90s), but now I'm not so sure.

Schlomo

5 Year Member
I've actually read that the florescent tube bulbs may be harmful for tortoises and their eyes. Everyone here seems to recommend the Mercury Vapor Bulbs. After reading around a bit, the Zoo Med Powersun MVB bulbs seem to get the best reviews. The best price I could find was on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQDJK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

The Exo Terra bulb was much cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00101JII8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I actually ordered both just to see which works out better.

The Zoo Med one came with a one-year warranty and the Exo Terra came with a 6-month warranty.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, MVB's are expensive and they don't last long. And even if the light continues to shine, you are advised to change them out every six months because the UV qualities diminish in that time.

But, if you can't get real sunshine onto your tortoise, then the MVB is the next best thing.

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
Okay, that sounds good. I saw another post a while back that someone bought a UVB meter, but it was like $200....is it worth it? Or should I toss the MVB in 6 months?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since I only use the MVB's during the winter (all my tortoises live outside in good weather), I just toss them at the end of the season and buy new next time. Quite a few folks invest in the meters, and if you shop around you can probably find them cheaper. Check out carolinapetsupply.com. He usually has them on sale.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I use the MVB and it works great for me, but you do need a large enough enclosure that they can get away from it when it gets too hot. I have heard some say the MVD will last 6 months and some say 1 year. So, I'm wondering the same thing about the length of effectiveness. Also, don't use mine all the time because I try to get mine outside as much as possible. Wish it had a a mechanism to let me know when it is getting weak, like maybe a beeper.

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
DesertGrandma said:
I use the MVB and it works great for me, but you do need a large enough enclosure that they can get away from it when it gets too hot. I have heard some say the MVD will last 6 months and some say 1 year. So, I'm wondering the same thing about the length of effectiveness. Also, don't use mine all the time because I try to get mine outside as much as possible. Wish it had a a mechanism to let me know when it is getting weak, like maybe a beeper.

I would bring him outside...but I have no yard...which really sucks.

Oh yeah, I just ordered some TNT from him.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
WallieTheTortoise said:
DesertGrandma said:

If you can't take him outside be sure he gets lots of UVA/UVB so he will grow healthy. I have mine on from 7 am to 7 pm when he is inside. He wanders away from it and goes into his hide when he has had enough.

How big is your enclosure?

emysemys said:
Since I only use the MVB's during the winter (all my tortoises live outside in good weather), I just toss them at the end of the season and buy new next time. Quite a few folks invest in the meters, and if you shop around you can probably find them cheaper. Check out carolinapetsupply.com. He usually has them on sale.

Thanks for that info. I found them to be pretty expensive too when I looked for one.

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
DesertGrandma said:
WallieTheTortoise said:
DesertGrandma said:

If you can't take him outside be sure he gets lots of UVA/UVB so he will grow healthy. I have mine on from 7 am to 7 pm when he is inside. He wanders away from it and goes into his hide when he has had enough.

How big is your enclosure?

emysemys said:

Thanks for that info. I found them to be pretty expensive too when I looked for one.

I'm not really sure...i thought it was a 50 gallon plastic tub...but it might be like 40 gallon. I'm either going to get the 54 gallon tub from home depot or I'm going to go to a furniture store to buy a large book case this coming tuesday.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My experience is with Leopard babies. I am not familiar with Russian tortoises, but you can get opinions from others on the forum about your enclosure needs by posting another thread asking about Russian enclosures. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.