Help with water dish?!

Turtle001

Hi so I recently purchased my first Russian tortoise and I started off with a reptile ramp which wasn't working So I bought a GLAZED terra cotta dish after much research but I'm nervous it could be diffucult for my tortoise to climb out with the surface being glazed and all. I also try to soak him everyday. What should I do? Any experiences with glazed dishes? Thanks.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hi so I recently purchased my first Russian tortoise and I started off with a reptile ramp which wasn't working So I bought a GLAZED terra cotta dish after much research but I'm nervous it could be diffucult for my tortoise to climb out with the surface being glazed and all. I also try to soak him everyday. What should I do? Any experiences with glazed dishes? Thanks.

Replce the glazed saucer with a basic terracotta one..just what I would do..

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Me, too.
I use a basic, cheap, shallow, unglazed terracotta dish that is easy to get traction on and when sunk into the substrate makes it so easy for Tidgy to deal with.
It's also good to have one big enough for the tortoise to soak in if he chooses. (but not deep, of course.)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The glaze might be a bit slippery for the tortoise to climb in and out - and they do like to climb into the water occasionally.

Lexiii

CT
I started using a glazed one when my unglazed one stopped holding water for some reason. He has no trouble getting out, but as soon as I can I plan on going back to unglazed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use glazed ones, much easier to clean. You can put a flat rock in it so he has something to push off of when trying to get out if he has troubles without the rock.