HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Italianlnm

He does have a basking spot that is of greater temperature.. and he is it at during the day, but then he retreats to the cooler side and in his hide-away.

Laura-- Tank was in a seperate room from everything else. I don't have any bug spray and all my cleaning supplies, never came near the torts, but they are organic. I don't have air freshener in the house, other than the occasional spritz of Febreeze. They pans are ALWAYS in the cabinets unless they are being cooked with or washed, and I don't use non stick pans.. I am more of a silicone person.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Remember hatchlings can have a mortality rate of 50% or more sometimes even when the best of care iis given. I hate to say it but sometime some hatchlings are not meant to survive. It is a sad fact of tort life.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Italianlnm, I know how hard it is to loose a little one. The blame, the guilt. You rack your brain trying to figure out what happened and if you could have prevented it. But as dmmj stated the mortality rate in hatchlings is high. You may have done everything right and still lost Tank. Hatchlings will often eat dirt (substrate) to add needed bacteria to their systems. I use bena bac for my hatchlings and they no longer eat substrate. You can get it in the reptile or bird section of your pet store. Know you did the best you could for Tank and that without you he may have not even lived as long as he did. Focus on Bullet now and make sure everything is correct for him. Hugs.

TheACO731

5 Year Member
The OC
I went through an almost identical time as you. One of the reasons I chose sulcatas, is because everything I read about them said they were "Hardy", they are not... in fact they are very fragile!. When I started looking for my sulcatas, the only place I could find some were on the internet (biggest mistake ever!). I got a female and a male, both about 5-6 months old. I thought the female had a broken leg and took her into my local vet, who happened to be a sulcata expert, what luck! (DR. Scott Weldy). The DR. told me they both had sever calcium deficiency and were sick for a long time before I received them and that recovery would be at least 6months. My male slowly recovered but my female even after daily tube feedings by the DR ($$$$), did not make it. Now four years later I have 4 great torts. Going back to the fragile thing, my biggest is 40lbs he got a cold earlier this year, two weeks of shots was not fun! I'm only telling you all of this to let you know that it can happen to anyone. You did nothing wrong. Also don't give up on getting more! They are worth all the work.

I

Italianlnm

I love Sulcatas.. and over the course of researching, getting, and living with them.. I have learned a passion in them, that I haven't found for other animals, other than the horses, pigs, and dogs. They are such a rewarding creature to keep. Bullet is doing great! And I will get another sulcata, but an older one. I will not be getting a Hatchling again. I think that the older they get, the more hardy they are. Thank you all for supporting me and sending well wishes this way.

I have been looking around for another sulcata to get. One a little older.. if any of you know anyone needing to rehome one.. I am in SC, and my email is [email protected].. Please tell them to give me an Email.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Check and post on craigslist, in my area there are usually several that need new homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.