Help....

clang

Location (City and/or State)
China
HI

I live in China, I have 3 red eared sliders now, one around 2 months (which does not eat), 2 that are just over a year, at one point I had 7 because someone thought it was funny to buy more and throw them into the tank without telling me, it was a whole big thing but I make it very clear that is not ok.

The two I had from the start, the 2 that are just over a year old were find when I was here in January (due to covid I was stuck out of china for 6 months), the turtles were not well cared for while I was away, they both for shell rot, but I think that is sorted, one got a respiratory infection (called Doyel), the other has been fine (called Langley).

Langley and Doyle have an 80 gallon tank, with 2 filters, heaters, basking lights, plus some decorations, I recently added some glass shrimp to clean the water a bit (Langley ate them all, so they are gone) I also got some plants and aquarium rocks, all of which have been in the water for over a week and things were fine.
The baby one has its own tank, smaller, with all the things the big tank has just smaller.

Where I need help, Doyle just sits in the basking area all day, I move him into fresh water and feed him, he is not good at aiming for food anymore, since he was sick he has only just started eating again, but he still gets there in the end, he will not eat veg but i soak the pellets in a vitamin supplement and add it to the water then when I put him back in the main tank he just continues to just lay in the sun

Langley recently started swimming around with his eyes closed, not eating or anything, I have changed the water, tested it and all the levels seem fine, it started after I placed him in in the baby tank for a bit before moving back into the main tank....

I guess my question is, what could make the turtles not open eyes under water

Attachments

• PXL_20201215_011725705.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201215_011725705.MP.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20201215_011730162.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201215_011730162.MP.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20201215_011736193.jpg
    PXL_20201215_011736193.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't know about turtles, but with tortoises having 2 living together causes bullying, which leads to fighting. Does one push the other around? Do they follow each other and sleep together?

Maybe this doesn't apply to turtles....but in any case, Welcome to the forum!

clang

China
I don't know about turtles, but with tortoises having 2 living together causes bullying, which leads to fighting. Does one push the other around? Do they follow each other and sleep together?

Maybe this doesn't apply to turtles....but in any case, Welcome to the forum!

Hi!

They don't bully or push each other around, they like to stack ontop of eachother when basking in the sun, but no bullying or fighting, yet....

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi!

They don't bully or push each other around, they like to stack ontop of eachother when basking in the sun, but no bullying or fighting, yet....
For torts, stacking would be a strong dominance power play. For turts, I don't know. Keep an eye on them.