Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA
So my 2 desert tortoises are becoming increasingly worse. Although still eating, they are becoming a bit less active. The younger (Franklin) has very very swollen eyes. Both have had runny stool occasionally.

They are both kept inside, and will not be hibernating.

They have an appointment at the vet on thursday.

I'm just wondering if there is anything i can do until then? Other then raise the temps?

Or does anyone have any guess on what could be causing this??

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Until they see a vet all I can say is keep them a little warmer that often helps until a vet can evaluate them. Are they separated? Does only one have the swollen eyes? The weather is most likely playing a part with them slowing down, even though you may be keeping them artificially warm, they can often slow down.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Ok if they both have swollen eyes I would say maybe an eye irritation? what is their substrate made of? honestly turtles with an RI my usual suspect for swollen eyes don't normally eat, yours are.

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
Yeah, that's what has me so confused!
The substrate is cocnut coir, cypress and a little aspen bedding.
Both have a heat lamp and a UVA UVB bulb, both have a water dish, both are fed spring mix, grasses, broad leaf plantain, dandelion leaves, and a slice of apple or banana every other week, both get soaked twice a week for 10-15 minutes in warm water, and both get a sprinkling of calcium every two weeks. The only thing i can think of is the temps dropping at night, but they are in my bedroom and i hardly think it gets too cold for them in here, but im going to get blacklights for them now. My mom borrowed my camera so I'll try to post pictures tonight after work! Thanks alot for your replies :)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
See I took in a russian last year from someone who treated it horribly, closed eye, runny nose, def RI, it took about 3 months worth of meds to clear it all up, cost me about 300 or so. Yo be honest yours doe snot sound like an RI but the only other reasons I know of for swollen eyes are RI eye irritant, or vit a deficiency, and vit a def usually only shows up in boxies. I would just make them a little warmer for now, not to warm and wait and see what the vet says, of course if they start getting a runny nose then we will def know it is a RI, most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.