Henry

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi Gillian I think I'm going to give my tort fruit once every few months as what they'd get in the wild they would come across fallen fruit naturally.
I believe that would make sense, though I give Oli fruit more often than that. Good luck.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Don't you feed yours fruit I'm sure I saw a post about a bruised fruit few days back ?
I feed my box turtles fruit as part of their varied diet. They are omnivores. I posted a photo of my three toed box turtle eating nectarine. I feed my ambo fruit occasionally, usually peeled apple. He dislikes the peel. I never feed my mediterranean tortoises fruit. I fed the RTs pumpkin once, and although they ate it, they were lethargic with no appetite for days after.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Not even for a treat?
What is the point of a treat? Really? It makes us feel good that we're offering something special, but it isn't healthful, it doesn't give them good memories or better bonding with us. It messes up their guts, and makes them inclined to not eat what's good.

I bribe my cat. The dog has to work for her biscuits. For a tortoise, a varied good diet shouldn't need to include treats. Unless you define a rarely blooming hard to find flower or weed as a treat. Then I'm all for it.

So no, I personally don't have the notion of treat in regard to tortoises, and don't offer fruit to species for whom it is not part of the diet.

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
Some tortoises will never come across fruit in the wild just because of where they live. Box turtles and other forest tortoises do need fruit as a part of their diet, but Mediterranean species do not need any.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
What is the point of a treat? Really? It makes us feel good that we're offering something special, but it isn't healthful, it doesn't give them good memories or better bonding with us. It messes up their guts, and makes them inclined to not eat what's good.

I bribe my cat. The dog has to work for her biscuits. For a tortoise, a varied good diet shouldn't need to include treats. Unless you define a rarely blooming hard to find flower or weed as a treat. Then I'm all for it.

So no, I personally don't have the notion of treat in regard to tortoises, and don't offer fruit to species for whom it is not part of the diet.
Thanks the info. What of conflicting info? By the way mine is a Greek tort.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Thanks the info. What of conflicting info? By the way mine is a Greek tort.
When there is conflicting info, I look at the source and the other info available there, too. A site/source that gives bad advice concerning water availability, substrate and general care isn't to be trusted on diet either.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
When there is conflicting info, I look at the source and the other info available there, too. A site/source that gives bad advice concerning water availability, substrate and general care isn't to be trusted on diet either.
Ok, and thanks your reply.