Her Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickyb

5 Year Member
Some people had asked for pictures of her enclosure etc. to give me advice on Humidity and Temperature. Well, here goes :)

Enclosure1.jpg

Enclosure2.jpg

Enclosure3.jpg

Enclosure4.jpg

Enclosure5.jpg

Currently it is using a 100W bulb

She is constantly hiding below the log in the cool end. Even though its on the cooler side in the encl. She will go and hide below.

Whenever I take her out and let her walk around my house/room, she takes off like a rocket and goes exploring

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Baby tortoises hide. That's just a fact of life. They are prey items. The reason she takes off when you put her down in the wide open spaces is because she scared out of her wits and is trying to quickly get away and find a safe place to hide.

It looks like you have your light on top of the screen,right? If so, the screen is filtering out the UV rays. The light needs to shine into the habitat with no restrictions.

Also, the sides of the aquarium are so high that you are losing most of the heat they supply. The lights need to be closer to the floor of the habitat.

If you moved the hide to the warm end, then she would use it on that side. She will use the half log no matter where you put it, as that's her safe zone.

My suggestion would be for you to buy a cheap plastic tub similar to these:

100_0975.jpg

The sides on the one in the front are only about 5 1/2 inches tall and the other is about 8 inches tall. The floor space is a little bigger than 2' x 1'

I partially cover them to keep the heat in.

You've asked for help with humidity and temperature. Your heat is not reaching the floor of the habitat, so you need to cover it better or lower the lights, and if you mix some cypress mulch or potting soil in with your bark, it will hold the moisture better.

Sorry for offering such negative remarks. I know you're trying to do the best you can for your little tortoise. Joining the forum and getting all the info you can by reading past posts will help you.

Now how 'bout some pix of the little tortoise? ;)

I just realized we're talking about a redfoot tortoise. If you put lots of plants in the habitat, either artificial or real, it will help to raise the humidity. Especially live plants. The down side is, with your lights up so high, the plants provide way more shade and it will be a lot cooler on the floor of the habitat.

vickyb

5 Year Member
Not negative comments at all. All information that you provided is very very useful and helps me understand things more. Thanks for taking the time to write this as well as post the picture of what you use.

Here is a link to her pictures :)

Click here

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If you still want to use the tank, this is what I do: I make a hole on one end of the screen top and push the heat emitter through it, after I take the dome off the fixture. On the other end I put the long tube UVB light. Then I cover the rest of the screen with clear wrapping tape to hold in heat and humidity. The heat emitter is one 24/7, and I just shut off the UBV at night. Add some plants which also holds in the humidity and gives more hiding places. Covering the back and sides and 5 in. across the front, will also make it feel more secure for him. I use this same set up for all my boxies when they have to stay inside.

vickyb

5 Year Member
Hello Terry

Do you have a picture to share please.

Thanks

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
What is the white box with an upside-down Pepsi bottle on top?

Your little girl is a cutie! She needs to meet an equally good-looking redfoot named Stagger Lee. They would make a stunning couple!;)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
vickyb said:
Hello Terry

Do you have a picture to share please.

Thanks

This is a set up for a little boxie hatchling I have. I don't use a hide, just a lot of plants, and leaf litter for her to hide in. It's a 20 gal. You can't see it, but on top of the tank is a screen cover with a long tube 5.0 UVB fixture for a 10 gal on one side, and on the other is a hole in the screen that I stick the heat emitter in. There is a 60 wt. in there beause the tank is small.
003-11.jpg

For my Redfoot, when he is inside, I have him in a 75 gal planted vivarium (tank) You can see the long tube 10.0 UVB on one side. It is for a 20 gal tank. and on the other side you can see the heat emitter that I make a hole in the screen, stick the fixture through the screen, and then screw in the heat emitter. It is a 100 wt. I have his hide under the heat emitter. The long tube UVB is the only light I have in there. I hope these pictures help. I'm not saying it's the right way to do things, but it is what works for me. Also with the plants and substrate I use, it's very easy to clean.
005-26.jpg

004-19.jpg

003-21.jpg

This is one end of the enclosure under the UVB tube light.
089-1.jpg

vickyb

5 Year Member
This is great Terry. Excellent pictures and it shows things very well... Could you kindly please give me a list of plants that I can plant directly into her vivarium? I will order them from my local nursery...

What do you use for substrate?

thanks much

Vicky

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
The Pio Paradise by Terryo.

Every time I see it again, I am amazed and have to comment.;)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thanks Stephanie..I am just a "plant nut". Plants are all over my house...every window....every ledge...in front of the sliding doors...etc. My Dad was the same way and gave me a love of plants.

Vicky...For a substrate I mix potting soil, a little peat moss to loosen it up, and some Forest Floor, by zoo med. (100 % Cyprus mulch). I sprinkle some of the mulch on top of the substrate. I just have some little tropical house plants...a little palm tree, some pothos, and I brought in a begonia from outside before it got too cold. Since Pio got bigger, I don't have as many as I used to because he needs the room.
I keep them in their little pots, and just bury them into the substrate, which is about 6 - 7 in. deep. In his hide I have some long fibered moss, which I change about once a month. I soak it in warm water, squeeze it out and fluff it up. I have a lot more plants in my boxie enclosures because they don't have hides....just leaf litter to dig under.
I use this site to pick plants from, for inside and outside too.
http://www.africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.