Is it time for an enclosure upgrade? When is it too small?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
My leo just turned 8 months and is over 4 1/2" and 315 grams. She's currently in a 39 x 20 enclosure.

Would this now be considered too small? I just put that large log hide in today since she outgrew the old one, and it takes up a lot of room. So far she seems content enough, exploring the hide and now basking. No signs of stress.

GqaP39f.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, it is too small. My leopard had two totes similar to yours from about 5 months to about 17 months. Then moved into a larger area. Time to upgrade.

Btw, I would just add another tote to the one you have.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My year old leopard is the same size and weight of yours! :)

How often is your leopard housed in this size tub? If it's his primary home then, like Wellington said, yes and add a second tub.

If you tortoise is housed in a large outdoor pen and only sleeps in here, then it is still ok. My leopard spends most of the day outside then sleeps in a 40gal with dimensions similar to your tub.

I'm in sunny CA though where outside all day is an option. Not sure that Maryland gives you the same opportunity :p

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
The weather is finally getting nice and I'll be building an outdoor pen soon. She's still young and I want to keep up with the humid routine for at least another year so she doesn't pyramid. Maybe I'll just put her back in this with the top covered to sleep. I would definitely never leave her out all night. Too many bad little kids in this neighborhood.

I have the perfect spot for an outdoor pen, where my back porch meets the side of the house. I'd only need 2 sides. I just need to make sure no animals can get inside...the walls would have to be fairly high. We always have stray dogs, cats, even opossums in the yard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are going to need something bigger ASAP. Might as well do it right the first time. I like 4x8' enclosures for indoors. Make it a closed chamber and it will be easy to maintain good temps and humidity all year long.

Check it out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I've been trying to think of the easiest way to build a closed chamber. I'm no carpenter. The last enclosure I built was an iguana cage, and that was basically a wooden frame with chicken wire attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.