Herman help?

Jodielee

Location (City and/or State)
Flintshire
Hi I have had my Herman tortoise for around 5 years, she’s always been active, and eating. These last 3weeks she will only sleep and I can only get her to come out of her bed when i physically get her. She will eat when i hand feed her. Iv started to do daily baths. Soon as i put her back in the tortoise table she’s going straight back to bed? Any advice?
Thanks

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
Can you tell what temperatures are at night and during the day in the table? What is basking area temperature? What heaters and lights do you use? Were there unusually low temperatures and cloudy weather outside? Do you keep your tortoise only indoors?

Jodielee

Flintshire
She’s only inside I have an 80 watt MVB bulb uv and heat in one. Under the basking lamp the temp 37 and in her bed is 20. Nothing has changed the bulb is on a timer comes on in morning off at night. The house is a warm house not hot just normal. Thanks for getting back to me.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Temperatures sound fine to me. However, she might be willing to brumate (hibernate) and if you plan keep her awake through the winter you will need to tweak some things: provide her bright ambient light for 13-14 hours and raise ambient temperature a little bit.

Also, how long is it since you have changed her MVB lamp? Average lifespan for these lamps is 6 months before UVB output degrades.

Jodielee

Flintshire
I have changed the lamp about two days ago as her other bulb ( which I have had for a long time was 100watt and I thought it might be to hot. I Never hibernated her maybe leave the bulb on longer then? What time on and off do you suggest?

Jodielee

Flintshire
It was 45 under the old bulb but had been using this for a quite a while only changed it because of how she has been acting as when I read it should be 35 but has never bothered her before

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
It was 45 under the old bulb but had been using this for a quite a while only changed it because of how she has been acting as when I read it should be 35 but has never bothered her before
45 is a bit too hot, but 39-40 is fine.

I would suggest to add a LED light or pair of LED bulbs (cold or neutral daylight, not warm white) over the enclosure. And set them from 6-7AM to 8.30PM.

Another suggestion would be to get UVB tube lamp (like Arcadia ProT5 Desert 12%, Reptile Systems Fergusson Zone 3 or ZooMed ReptiSun 10.0) and an incadescent basking lamp (Arcadia Solar Basking Floodlight or ProRep Flood Spot). This way you can tweak basking zone temperature independent of UVB source, set them on different timers to better match sunlight spectrum. And in the long-term it would be cheaper: T5 tube lamps can last for 2-3 years, you don't need to change them every 6 months as MVBs.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus