Herman tortoise behavior

MissHolmes

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Hello All,

Looking for advice I have a Eastern Hermans tortoise who is sitting semi inside the shell, and I noticed when sheer he breathes in moves her legs in and out as if when breathing in. No sounds when breathing in or out. I held her angeled down and no nasal congestion. (I am a nurse). She is still eating and drinking. I am concerned this is labored breathing in a tortoise. I am new to all of this unsure if beginning of something. I will take her to vet tomorrow. Unable to upload video but, will try when phone is charged. Anything I should check for? Recommendations

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello All,

Looking for advice I have a Eastern Hermans tortoise who is sitting semi inside the shell, and I noticed when sheer he breathes in moves her legs in and out as if when breathing in. No sounds when breathing in or out. I held her angeled down and no nasal congestion. (I am a nurse). She is still eating and drinking. I am concerned this is labored breathing in a tortoise. I am new to all of this unsure if beginning of something. I will take her to vet tomorrow. Unable to upload video but, will try when phone is charged. Anything I should check for? Recommendations
Are you meaning a small amount of motion in the arms and legs, or do they go all the way in and out?

If just a small amount...when my tort pulls his head and legs all the way into his shell, he has to expel air from his lungs (it sounds like a hiss). There simply isn't enough space under there for all of him, along with expanded lungs.

So as he sleeps, it makes sense that his legs move a bit with his breathing, and I have seen this with my DT.

What I saw was perfectly normal...I hope this is what you're seeing too.