Tortoise squeaks and hisses every time I turn off the lights?

Anthony Willett

Location (City and/or State)
Horley
Hi,
I have a tortoise that hisses and squeaks every time I turn the lights off in its indoor enclosure and has been doing this for a long time. This happens for about 30 minutes to which she then stops. Her breathing is fine throughout the rest of the day. Her behavior hasn't changed, she's active and also eats well. Her breathing isn't labored at all, she breathes normally through her nostrils (which are clear), and she has no mucus and seems to be very healthy.

Thank you.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. If you are manually turning the lights off, perhaps ur presence as you walk up to the enclosure is spooking your tort. Try getting a timer, makes off n on easier. Good luck!

Anthony Willett

Horley
Greetings. If you are manually turning the lights off, perhaps ur presence as you walk up to the enclosure is spooking your tort. Try getting a timer, makes off n on easier. Good luck!
Yeah, I'll try that and see if it changes anything. Thanks

Anthony Willett

Horley
One timer for each different light and staggered times.
It looks as though both of your suggestions have worked. She's not really making much noise so cheers for that! :)